Have you gotten a lot from Focusing and know there’s so much more?
Are there times when Focusing doesn’t work well… or types of issues that just don’t shift?
Do you sometimes feel shaky about how to cultivate Self-in-Presence when you need to?
Do you ever feel less than confident as a Focusing partner?
About the Course
In Focusing: The Second Year you will learn how to…
- Confidently cultivate Self-in-Presence so you don’t get hijacked by your emotional states and you can feel real positive change in your body
- Learn how to work with “parts” (in yourself or someone else) so that repetitive stuck issues start to shift and you can feel new possibilities
- Help yourself or someone else work with challenging issues like action blocks, decisions, and unfulfilled longing
- Feel truly relaxed and “at home” doing Focusing partnership so you can look forward to every partnership as a privilege and a pleasure
At A Glance
For Focusers who have completed Path to Lasting Change Parts One and Two (or 4 Levels) and want more confidence, more skills, more support in going deeper.
Go deeper into advanced Focusing topics in a supported group. More partnering, more learning, more connection.
Live Online Course – join us from anywhere in the world!
You want to be more confident and more skilled with your own Focusing, and as a Focusing partner. You’d like Focusing to feel second nature, to have it “in your bones.” You’d like help and support to apply Focusing to long-term issues like blocks and persistent uncomfortable feelings. You want to be able to “live Focusing” every day.
What is different and special about this training:
I really wanted to put together a program that would take people to the next level, so I developed a curriculum that would give empowerment and support in areas that none of my other courses cover (or cover so thoroughly).
- Yes, I have an audio course on releasing blocks to action… but I’ve never before taught how to work as a Companion with action blocks. It’s quite illuminating to discover how many issues can be framed as action blocks! And it’s not too difficult to work with them… if you know how.
- Yes, we talk about Self-in-Presence in Path to Lasting Change Parts One and Two. But were you aware that there is a Helpful Protector that masquerades as Presence? In this course I will show you how to recognize it, in yourself and in your partners.
- Yes, we start working with Protectors in Path to Lasting Change Part Two. But it is possible to be so much more at ease and confident with what to do when Protectors arise… including how to spot them.
Here are some of the reasons people have taken this program and some of the results they’ve received:
Want to Take Your Focusing to the Next Level? Now You Can!
About the Teacher
Ann Weiser Cornell:
Ann Weiser Cornell, author of Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change, The Power of Focusing, and The Radical Acceptance of Everything, has devoted her life to helping people learn Focusing easily. Ann learned Focusing from its originator, Eugene Gendlin, in 1972, and worked closely with him for many decades.
Today Ann is internationally recognized as one of the leading innovators and theoreticians of Focusing. She has taught Focusing in twenty countries, and her Focusing books and manuals have been translated into eleven other languages.
This is a participatory partnership class and your presence at most of the classes is important, but there is no precise number of classes you need to attend — unless you want CEUs, in which case you need to attend 80% of the classes and make up any missed classes. Every class will be recorded and the recordings will be available to every registered participant.
People who have taken the Treasure Maps to the Soul retreat will recognize the three types of parts and the Not-Wanting/Wanting language, but there is material in this class that wasn’t covered in Treasure Maps, including specific work with action blocks, decisions, framing the issue, and the heart’s desire. In addition, if you took Treasure Maps, this class gives you a chance to carry forward the work with weekly partnership practice in structured exercises.
Of course! The only pre-requisite for this class is Path to Lasting Change, Part Two (or four Levels).
Focusing: The Second Year could be taken before, after, during, or instead of certification training. (It does not lead to certification itself, but certainly enhances practitioner skills.) If what you want is to deepen your own Focusing practice (with a partner), then Focusing: The Second Year is the most direct route.
We offer this course once a year starting in September. It will be at a different time of day next year.
Each week I will offer new teaching, including theory, examples, and specific language for taking a partner through the process we are learning about. There are also handouts each week written especially for this course and you can read in advance if you want to. There’s an experiential component to every class; either I will guide everyone through an exercise, or I will work with one person as a demo… and sometimes we will also pair up for a while during class. You will have an assigned partner each week, and you can just tell us if you’re not available that week. It’s also OK to work with the same person all 20 weeks, just let us know.
You’re certainly welcome to bring what you’re learning to your other Focusing partnerships outside the course. And feel free to bring the new skills to your clients if you’re a healing professional—it’s meant to be shared!
Other questions? Let me know by clicking here.
SPACE IS LIMITED to 24
In Path to Lasting Change, Part Two you learned how to help with blocks to Focusing like “The Feeling about the Feeling,” inner criticizing parts, feeling overwhelmed and feeling nothing. As you learned how to help other people with those blocks, you were also learning about them for yourself.
In Focusing: The Second Year we will continue the process of learning how to help yourself and others with specific blocks and specific kinds of issues. Each week there will be a new exercise tailored for that particular area. We’ll learn the theory behind it, practice the process in class with a guided exercise or a demonstration, and then pair up during the week to try it in a session with a partner.
More about the areas we’ll be exploring:
Focusing: The Second Year
$300.00 – $1,495.00
Dates: September 30, 2019 to March 16, 2020
(meets every Monday except: November 11, 25; December 23, 30; January 6)
Time: 24 Mondays; 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Pacific
Taught by Ann Weiser Cornell
Payment and additional details
Cost: $1495 through end of day September 9, $1745 after
Don’t Miss Out: The last day to register is September 23, 2019
Not sure? I’d love to chat with you about it! Just click here to set up a free 30-minute call or Zoom meeting with me.
- Nancy H."I realized Focusing: The Second Year was giving me something important and valuable when I started incorporating Focusing into my daily life - before going to sleep, on waking, checking in throughout the day. So many moments when I noticed little twinges of discomfort that had just passed me by before. Now I am able to stay with them, to notice that I feel triggered, to pause and say, "something in me..." I feel calmer, more compassionate and curious. There's something about Ann's approach that allows us to go deeper, to accept all of ourselves, and to touch our younger wounded parts in a way that they can experience true healing. That's such a gift."
- Susan S."The course helped me have better relationships with my children. And as I move through the world, I'm better able to discern what I'm feeling in each moment. Being able to do that is a superpower. It lets me be in the world and not feel tossed around. As a special education teacher, I can be with my students in a calm state and listen to what they're saying under their words. The effects of learning this process are exponential."
- Mary Ann C."For those of you who've taken courses with Ann, you are familiar with her gentle and genuine interactions, her knowledge of and her passion for what she teaches. Focusing: The Second Year was worth every penny! The curriculum delved deeper into and expanded upon earlier lessons, helping me to "connect the dots" in many areas. I came away as a much more confident Focuser and am eager to begin the Focusing Certification Program with Ann, Barbara and their team of experienced teachers."
- TajFocusing: The Second Year is the most practical, heart-filled-fun focusing class I’ve taken to date. Not only is the knowledge very rich, but it is delivered brilliantly in bite-size pieces over 20 weeks. This time span is invaluable because of the opportunity for personal experience with practice partners both as part of class and as companions in between. Although I took it after taking Treasure Maps (also a fun dense class with a very comfortable schedule), I believe it would also be valuable to take it before. Bottom line, if you meet the requirements, just do it!
- Abbe Blum, Berkeley, CA"Focusing: The Second Year became as vital a part of my ongoing development as a Focusing companion and guide as going through Levels 1-4 and eventually becoming a Certified Focusing Professional. It allowed me to explore crucial elements such as Wanting and Not Wanting, the ability to Hold it All during regular sessions, and to find my way into a more nuanced and flexible relational approach to my on-going focusing partnerships. It provided a steady, enriching, and caring conversation each week with the Inner Relationship focusing community, as well as a chance to have Ann’s wisdom and feedback regularly. The longer lasting nature of this class also meant it was possible and practical to try out and refine various aspects of Focusing with my students and clients, and --maybe even more important-- to integrate focusing more fully into all my personal life."
- Lesta Frank, San Antonio, TX"Ann has unearthed great new ways to guide us into hidden issues that have many rich gifts waiting for us on the other side of the work. The most beneficial result is that I know I have become more of my Self in Presence, and more compassionate to myself and others. I don't instantly become aligned with and lost in parts, with the suffering that ensues. When I do merge with them, I recover sooner, realizing the suffering is often from a part stuck back in time that for the first time has a chance to express itself and integrate. This is huge for me. I feel more in present time and enjoy life more."
- Justin Jacobs, New York"I am so pleased that I enrolled in Focusing - The Second Year. I look forward each week to two hours full of learning, discussion, self-expression and listening. Having the ongoing support and learning has been invaluable in allowing all that I have learned so far to settle and feel natural. Each week, we discuss what we have experienced and discovered during the week, and we go on to learn more. Each week, there is a handout that details new topics and different areas of life in which we can use Focusing, and ways in which to do that. All of this has helped me enormously in feeling more solid with my Focusing practice and able to go deeper with the process more easily and quickly. Being in a class and having the opportunity to interact with so many new people has been particularly wonderful - giving and receiving compassion for each other, listening and being listened to with respect and gentle caring. Not only have I learned so much more about Focusing itself, I have been helped enormously in dealing with some very tangled life issues and decisions."
How Online Courses Work
We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher. Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone. Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to a private webpage where course materials can be found.
Path to Lasting Change Part Two (or Focusing Level Four) with an Inner Relationship Focusing Teacher
Continuing Education Credit & Course Completion Certificate
Course meets the qualifications for 30 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE units requires at least 80% live attendance. Missed classes must be made up.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Up to 14 days before the first day of class:
We will refund your course fee less a $35 cancellation fee. Avoid the cancellation fee by applying the entire course fee towards a future class with us.
Cancellations received 13 days or fewer before class begins: No refund
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.