When your Focusing process gets bumpy, that’s when you need it the most!
Level Four is about helping with the tough places – inner critics, doubts, feeling too much or too little. Greatly enhance your partnership skills and your own Focusing too.
Courses offered 4 times per year starting in February, May, September, and November
What People Are Saying
“I want to thank Ann, Carol, and all the good friends I met in this fantastic journey. It has been an excellent and challenging journey through all the different levels. I definitely will continue the adventure… Ann and Carol, you have been wonderful, caring and deeply involved in our processes. I am very much impressed at your constant and growing capacity of accepting everything from us, never taking anything for granted, always trying to improve, always sincere companions. It’s so beautiful to be part of all this, so beautiful to actively participate in something that is not new, but it’s new.”
– Gabriella Colao, Naples, Italy
About the Course
The fourth course in the Focusing Training Program centers on getting past the most typical blocks to Focusing, both for your own process and helping your Focusing partners. In Level Four, Focusing becomes even more integrated into your life, how you are with yourself, how you are with others. Focusing Level Four invites us to return to the essence of the Focusing process, to the simplicity beneath the complexity. We discover that we can let go of “rules” and stay true to what is essential.
In Level Four we learn and practice ways to be present for a partner who feels not much… or too much. We learn how to facilitate Focusing through all kinds of blocks: inner critics, doubts, sleepiness, distractions. As we learn how to be present for this in our partners, we also learn how to deepen the process for ourselves.
What will you receive from taking Focusing Level Four?
- understanding the most typical block to Focusing: being identified with a “feeling about a feeling,” (eg, not liking being afraid) – and how to help yourself and other people shift this experience
- powerful language and attitudes for helping yourself and others shift your experience of an “inner criticizing process” that says things like, “You’re hopeless” and “This will never work.”
- more ways to help yourself (or a partner) when you are feeling overwhelmed by strong emotional states
- more ways to help yourself (or a partner) when you are feeling resistant to feeling anything
- wider understanding of the concept of “body” and what makes our bodies so wise
- how to let go of “rules” and still do Focusing — staying true to what is essential
“Level Four was a revelation. I am feeling so much more comfortable, confident, calm and compassionate.”
About the Teacher
Ann Weiser Cornell:
Ann Weiser Cornell, author of Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change, The Power of Focusing, and The Radical Acceptance of Everything, has devoted her life to helping people learn Focusing easily. Ann learned Focusing from its originator, Eugene Gendlin, in 1972, and worked closely with him for years. Today Ann is internationally recognized as one of the leading innovators and theoreticians of Focusing. She has taught Focusing in twenty countries, and her Focusing books and manuals have been translated into eleven other languages.
If you've had Focusing Level Three but not with an IRF teacher, click here.
If you’ve had Focusing Level Three but not with an IR teacher, what can you do? You could take our Level Three at the repeating rate of $195, and you’re welcome to do that… but if you don’t want to take that much time, we have an alternative, a “fast track” so to speak, and that is to take a Level Three tutorial.
The Level Three tutorial is specifically designed for people who have taken a Focusing Level Three course but need to get the special Inner Relationship aspects of the training…which are significant, and will contribute in important ways to the success of your Level Four.
The tutorial is composed of two one-hour meetings at $100 per meeting, and these are scheduled at mutually agreeable times. NOTE: This is a special low fee; use the coupon code FR20 to receive this fee.
Included in this price are all handouts and Exercise Sheets needed for the tutorial.
Currently the following Focusing teacher is authorized to offer the Level Three tutorial:
Want to refresh your Level Four skills by repeating the course at a discount?
If you’ve had Focusing Level Four (with us or with another Inner Relationship Focusing teacher) but find you’re needing to brush up on skills you learned or get process reminders for your partnership practice, you can repeat Level Four for just $195. Just email us to request the repeat fee discount code.
How Online Courses Work
We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher. Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone. Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to a private webpage where course materials can be found.
Focusing Level Three with any Inner Relationship Focusing teacher
Continuing Education Credit & Course Completion Certificate
Course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE units requires at least 80% live attendance. If you miss a class, it must be made up.
Cancellations, Changes & Refunds
Up to 5 days before the first day of class: We will refund your course fee less a $35 cancellation fee. Avoid the cancellation fee by applying the entire course payment towards a future class. Changing your registration to a later offering of the same course must also occur 5 days prior to the beginning of class.
Cancellations received 4 days or fewer before class begins: No refund. Changing your registration within this window results in a $75 fee.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.
What People Are Saying
- Rebecca W., L.M.F.T."In the very first class, I was wowed by how much MORE I was learning. I had that wonderful sense of being in the presence of a true master teacher and mentor (Ann) as she encouraged us to just be present, empathic, and accepting with whatever was unfolding. It felt like a paradox. I was being given a wealth of new information and skills and I was also learning that I could be successful even without all that new knowledge IF I could just stay present, empathic, and accepting. Less became more, and more became less and it was inseparable. My perfectionistic demands of myself decreased significantly. My enjoyment of the process increased, and those I was working with seemed to have bigger shifts with less effort. Now that I've completed Level Four, I have more self-confidence, self-acceptance, hope, and an increased ability to stay present even in the face of big emotions or challenges. I have more curiosity and a willingness to face things I once was afraid of. I also have more awareness of myself as part of a dynamic, ever-changing universe."
- Bruce van Goozen, Saskatoon, CanadaLevel 4 really consolidated what I learned in Level 2 and 3. I wasn't going to take it but am glad I did. I found that my confidence and the ease with which I Focused dramatically improved. It was like coming in for a smooth landing. Now it only makes sense if you do 3 to finish off your "basic" training with Level 4.
- Gabriella Colao, Legal Adviser for an International Organization, Naples, Italy"I want to thank Ann, Carol, and all the good friends I met in this fantastic journey. It has been an excellent and challenging journey through all the different levels. I definitely will continue the adventure... Ann and Carol, you have been wonderful, caring and deeply involved in our processes. I am very much impressed at your constant and growing capacity of accepting everything from us, never taking anything for granted, always trying to improve, always sincere companions. It's so beautiful to be part of all this, so beautiful to actively participate in something that is not new, but it's new."