Do parts of you get triggered and then over-react? Join us for…
Presence and Partiality
a 3-week live online course with Ann Weiser Cornell to learn how to live from your steady center instead of from your parts
Stressful and scary outer events can’t MAKE you feel overwhelmed. They just contribute. There’s another part of the equation: YOU. And YOU can choose Presence over Partiality.
What do I mean by that? Well, do you sometimes get taken over by your most impulsive parts?
Being stressed, under pressure, or anxious makes it a lot easier to get taken over by emotions when challenging situations arise. And the consequences can be hard to recover from.
Whether you end up shouting at your nearest and dearest, getting into flaming matches on social media, or firing off an angry email without waiting for tempers to cool, actions taken from a place of stress can often create more stress.
When you’re not Self-in-Presence, you’re merged with a “part of you.” We call that Partiality.
But when you can be in a state of Self-in-Presence, you’re bigger than even the most challenging emotions. And you know it.
Rather than being taken over by feelings like anxiety or anger, when you’re Self-in-Presence you create a relationship with your feelings. There’s no need to fight with how you feel.
You can make wise choices, taking the whole picture into account. You’re much less likely to react to other people in a way that triggers them too. Life is calmer, more productive, more relaxing.
When you’re Self-in-Presence, your feelings can be as they are — and you are bigger.
The concepts of Presence and Partiality come from the Untangling® method that Barbara McGavin and I created to meet our own challenges of suicidal depression and alcohol addiction.
Yes, even for these big challenges, the first step is to cultivate Self-in-Presence and disidentify from your Parts.
Cultivating Self-in-Presence is the single most important thing you can do to change your life for the better.
And I want to help you get better at doing it.
Join me in this course where I’ll show you how to:
- Recognize when you’ve been hijacked by a part of you instead of being able to live from your calm center.
- More easily move from being taken over by your feelings to having a compassionate relationship with your feelings.
- Spot when other people have triggered parts of you, and know what to do when that happens.
- Bring generous curiosity to yourself and others… and experience the huge difference this makes!
- Use the resources you already have to strengthen your ability to be your calm, strong Self.
This course could be right for you if:
- You get knocked over by emotional states, triggered by events or other people
- Daily life feels difficult because of stressful emotions
- You know that having more calm and balance is possible, you just don’t always manage to do it
What You’ll Get:
A series of resource-building practices that you can go on using even when the course is over.
Lots of support from a community of like-minded people to maintain your Self-in-Presence practice!
The result: You know in your deepest core you are OK… and you can live from that place.
About Your Guide
Ann Weiser Cornell, PhD, is the co-developer (with Barbara McGavin) of Inner Relationship Focusing. Ann learned Focusing in 1972 from its developer, Eugene Gendlin, and was his close friend and colleague to the end of his life.
Ann has written several definitive books on Focusing, including The Power of Focusing: A Practical Guide to Emotional Self-Healing, and Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change.
She has taught Inner Relationship Focusing around the world since 1980, and is a past president of the Association for Humanistic Psychology.
“When you are merged with a Part, you see the world through its eyes. You can’t see the larger picture or another person’s point of view. You can’t get a sense of the whole situation.”
-Barbara McGavin & Ann Weiser Cornell
Are you ready to
live from Presence instead of from your Parts?
I Can Help Get You There…
Enrollment is now closed. Please contact us if you’d like to be added to a wait-list and notified of future offerings.
Some Important Notes:
This is a follow-up course to the January 2020 course, Self-in-Presence. Those who took that course will find even deeper levels of understanding and practice with the powerful concept of Self-in-Presence.
This course will also be meaningful and helpful to people who did not take the previous Self-in-Presence course.
Self-in-Presence and Partiality are concepts from the Untangling® method created by Ann Weiser Cornell and Barbara McGavin. This isn’t a course in the full Untangling® method. Specifically, we will not be working with Parts after they’re identified. But just finding your Parts and unmerging from them is already a powerful thing to do!
Want to get a first-hand experience of what this course can offer you? Watch a recording of our one-hour webinar. You’ll come away with:
- A way of recognizing when you get hijacked by your stressful feelings — and what to do if it happens
- An understanding of the difference between emotions and actions of Parts, versus emotions and actions that come from Presence
- A sense of where the concept of Self-in-Presence comes from — and how it is linked to the life energy that can carry you forward with effortless flow
“When you are Presence, your Parts will melt and dissolve; your Self will remain and grow. You will absorb all the life energy, learnings, skills, and abilities that have been held in your Parts. That energy will then be free to be lived and expressed throughout your life.”
– Barbara McGavin & Ann Weiser Cornell
What People Are Saying
- D.G."My biggest challenge was being comfortable working with parts and that left me feeling muddled and incompetent. Now, I'm more at home with the concept of parts and more willing to engage them. Ann has a very calm, relaxed, accepting approach to working with students. Parts work now feels doable."
- L.R."Before the course, I'd get identified with younger parts of me and that often left me feeling confused, trapped, and stuck. The more I cultivate Self-in-Presence, the more I can turn toward these parts and listen to them rather than being taken over by them and saying or doing things I regret later. I now have growing confidence and a secure feeling that I don't have to be afraid of what is within me. I can listen with understanding and empathy. The ability to be with my parts with compassion is precious and this course helps cultivate that ability. It's priceless!"
How Online Courses Work
We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher. Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone. Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to a private webpage where course materials can be found.
There is no prerequisite for this course. All are welcome.
Continuing Education Credit & Course Completion Certificate
Course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE units requires at least 80% live attendance. If you miss a class, it must be made up.
Cancellations, Changes & Refunds
Up to 14 days before the first day of class: Just let us know and we'll refund your course fee. Or you can choose to apply the entire course fee towards a future class with us.
Cancellations received 13 days or fewer before class begins: No refund, sorry.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.
Do I need to attend every class meeting?
You can enroll in this course and listen to the recordings that are available 1-2 days after each class meeting. We call this remote attendance. Please Note: If you attend remotely, you are ineligible for CEUs.
Is this a course with partnership practice?
No, partnerships are not available for this course.
Tell me more about the classroom environment and how course content is provided?
Sure. This course is taught using an online video conference system called Zoom. You’ll receive all the details you need to join us via Zoom prior to the first class meeting. You’ll also receive a private class webpage where homework assignments and class recordings can be found. Participants will be able to communicate via an online forum on the private class webpage.