You Can Be Effective and Empower Your Clients
Focusing has been linked in over 80 research studies with positive outcomes in therapy including greater emotional regulation, more satisfying relationships, and increased self acceptance.
In the Focusing Training Program for Healing Professionals, you’ll learn an experiential, body-oriented process of self-awareness and emotional healing that you can immediately bring into your work with clients.
We’ve got something special just for you!
Register for our Focusing training program starting with either our January, March, or April Path to Lasting Change, Part One and get $100 off our program. Register by January 15th, and you’ll get a free copy of Ann’s Latest Book, Focusing in Clinical Practice.
Listen to our free interactive call from October 16 to learn:
- Four simple, powerful, non-‘technique’ ways to invite your clients to have felt senses, and experience moving beyond stereotypical stuck patterns
- How to help your clients access their felt senses: fresh, immediate, creative life energy that moves their lives forward in new ways
Limited time registration discount offered on October 16th call!
What You’ll Learn
- a practical, step-by-step method for taking any problem or stuck situation and finding relief, insight, and new steps of action, so you feel bigger than your problems and in control of your life – and ways to help your clients do this too
- a process that lets you help your clients be in touch with the very place in them with the potential to open up into flow, change, and new possibilities
- a facilitative language that enables you to be supportive of your clients – and yourself – without pushing (and so without bringing up resistance)
- a sense of greater confidence and ease that you can be available for what your clients are bringing and at the same time able to guide them to be present and available to themselves
You want more ways to be helpful to clients who:
- don’t know what they feel or feel “nothing”
- struggle with self-criticism and confusion
- feel stuck in their lives
- talk about feelings rather than having them
- get overwhelmed by intense emotion
- struggle with depression, addictions, and other effects of trauma
By bringing Focusing into your process, your clients will be able to experience real change.
- You have a way to give your clients immediate support
- Your clients will feel more empowered and more able to give themselves support in between sessions
- Your clients start to open up to a fuller life and will have better connections with others, more peace with old issues, a greater sense of life being on track
- More comfortable and confident during psychotherapy sessions
- That you are showing up in sessions as yourself, genuine and real
- You have a way to process feelings and reactions that come up in your work with clients
For an article about Inner Relationship Focusing by Carol Nickerson that includes a story about how she used IR Focusing to process feelings about a client, click here.
Our Focusing Training Program consists of four 5-week classes. Each class occurs once per week for about 2.5 hours with an additional hour outside of class. Combined with the Focusing Training Program, our Healing Professionals Track provides additional audio and video content specifically tailored for Healing Professionals (HPs) who want to bring Focusing into their work with clients. In our Program, a blended course with both HPs and non-HPs, you’ll learn the Focusing process for yourself, including partnership exchange (by phone). You’ll build skills in accompanying a Focusing process, from the art of reflecting to the facilitative language of skilled guiding.
With the Healing Professionals Track, you’ll also receive:
- support in bringing Focusing into your client sessions through exclusive access to a private web platform with audio and video content specifically relevant to healing professionals
- answers to your questions about bringing the course material into client sessions in a live, interactive Q&A call with the course instructors two weeks after the end of each level – four times over the entire program
- email support in addressing the special issues of healing professionals throughout the program
All our workshops meet the qualifications for continuing education credits (CEUs) for MFTs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. PCE #1015.
The Focusing Training Program is led by:
|Ann Weiser Cornell,
author of Focusing in Clinical Practice
|Lucinda Hayden||Carol Nickerson|
The Healing Professional Track, including the private web page with additional audio and video content, the extra Q&A session, and the panel discussion on clinical applications of the course material is $75 in addition to regular course fees ($295-$425 depending on the course).
The full Focusing Training Program is made up of Levels One, Two, Three, and Four. There will always be a Level Two and Three and Four scheduled to follow a Level One, at the same time of day and day of the week, in succeeding terms. You may not see those later Levels on the course calendar yet, but you can rest assured that they will be taught.
Path to Lasting Change, Part One
Some of what you’ll learn:
- a way to access your body’s wisdom which allows you to get in touch with rich information about your life and your life’s direction
- a powerful listening process that lets you be supportive of other people – and yourself – in ways that will improve your relationships
- a structured plan for taking these lessons beyond the course and into your daily life
Level Two: The Path of the Companion
Some of what you’ll learn:
- practice in cultivating Self-in-Presence
- a supported process for coming into body awareness at the start of the session, called “Leading In,”
- about the “edge,” and how that is the key to transformation
- advanced listening skills that will improve your relationships
Level Three: The Guide’s Journey
Some of what you’ll learn:
- more ways to start the Focusing process and deepen your inner connection
- very specific and powerful ways to go beyond just “being with it,” including the remarkable “not-wanting and wanting” process
- new and useful ways to reap the benefits of the positive, enjoyable feelings in your Focusing process
- how to be a more graceful Focusing Partner
Level Four: The Center of the Maze
Some of what you’ll learn:
- the most typical block to Focusing and how to help shift this experience
- ways to manage your inner critic
- more ways to help yourself (or a partner) when you are feeling overwhelmed by strong emotional states
- wider understanding of the concept of “body” and what makes our bodies so wise
- how to let go of “rules” and still do Focusing
To enroll in the Focusing Training Program – Healing Professionals Track:
- Choose your payment option below.
- Each program consists of four 5-week courses (Level 1, 2, 3, and 4)
- You will automatically be enrolled in the subsequent Levels 2, 3, and 4 that occur on the same day of the week and time as your Level 1 class. For example, if you signed up for our Level One that occurs on 5 Wednesdays, January – February, you will be enrolled in the Level 2 that occurs on 5 Wednesdays, March – April (and so on). You can see our scheduled Levels 2, 3, and 4 here (if you don’t see an upcoming course, it’s just because it isn’t on our calendar quite yet). All class communications will be sent automatically. You can change your class registrations with at least 5 days notice prior to the start of each course by sending us an email.
- Prior to class, you will be emailed dial-in information for the course, including your conference call dial in number as well as your PIN.
|Single Payment||Installment Option|
|1 payment of $1,415||1 payment of $375, 3 subsequent payments $365|
- "I have been working as a coach and therapist since 1988. From the very first week in Focusing Level One I took what I was learning in to my client sessions, with amazing results. I deal a lot with anxiety issues… and after 30 minutes of Focusing my clients were saying, ‘Wow, what’s that?’ Focusing has helped with my own anxiety issues too. I have to say that the decision to take this course ranks up there with the best decisions in my life.”-Roy Gould, psychotherapist and life coach, New Brunswick, Canada
- "I'm so glad to have discovered this work. Over the years I've been dissatisfied with how I'm doing therapy with my clients. I've gone out and learned various therapeutic techniques and approaches and found that they're good in certain ways, but something was still missing for me. So I just kept looking for something more effective. Inner Relationship Focusing just clicks with me; it allows me to focus with the client on whatever is most present for them, and at the same time teach them a way of being with their inner experiences that will help them be emotionally and psychologically wiser and more astute. And learning this approach from Ann was wonderful; she is a great teacher, and I think her attention to facilitative language is invaluable."Carol Ivan, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist, Brookfield, IL
- "Focusing is exquisite listening to that small still voice inside each of us. ... Focusing integrates beautifully with psychotherapy -- it has accelerated my therapy greatly. It’s like I can do homework in my therapy by using Focusing. I also know right away in therapy when something is unsaid but needs saying. Focusing has brought me much more present with myself -- In some situations in my life, I have always been ruled by my head -- Now I let my heart speak, too."Michael Hagerty
- "This has really changed the way I do therapy. I have a totally different reaction when a client hits something difficult. Now I say, 'Oh, riches!'"Sue Roberts
- "Inner Relationship Focusing is one of the most accessible, easily integrated trainings I have taken (and I have taken a lot!)"Carmen Richardson, Prairie Institute of Expressive Arts Therapy, Calgary AB Canada
- "Ann Weiser Cornell approaches Focusing with both moment-by-moment sensitivity and years of depth. This is one of the most profound therapeutic techniques of which I am aware, and may even be said to be the basis of all good therapy."Jeffrey Mishlove, author of The Roots of Consciousness and host of TV and radio show Thinking Allowed
Hi, I’m Ann Weiser Cornell, and I’ve been teaching and developing IR Focusing training programs since 1985. I created these programs because I saw people struggling with procrastination and action blocks, sinking under low self-esteem and severe inner criticism, having a hard time feeling grounded and making confident decisions, and most of all longing to live the fulfilling lives they knew they could live but never quite getting there.
At first my programs were designed for individuals themselves but more and more psychotherapists kept asking me to create trainings for bringing this work into therapy. I agreed – but with one very important proviso. Healing professionals who want to use this work with clients have to learn it for themselves. How can we take other people to a place we don’t know how to go ourselves? Plus, your ability to be in a Focusing kind of contact with yourself is contagious – your very presence, even without words, becomes a healing containing space for your clients.
And since we now teach the Focusing Training Program by phone seminar, you don’t have to leave the comfort of your home or office in order to take courses that used to be offered only in a few locations in the world.
Recommended Resources for Therapists
Ann Weiser Cornell, who has been teaching Focusing to clinicians for over 30 years, shows step by step how to bring Focusing into any kind of clinical practice. Designed to be immediately useful to working clinicians, this book shows how to help clients get felt senses and nurture them when they appear, how to work with clients who have difficulty feeling in the body, how to support clients who experience dysregulating emotional states, and more. Plentiful examples and vignettes show specifically how the process works at the moment-by-moment level.