An Introduction to Treasure Maps to the Soul
With Ann Weiser Cornell and Barbara McGavin
About the Course
When something in your life has become so stuck that you can’t think or act your way out of it, that’s what we call a Tangle. When you are in a Tangle, you can’t imagine what would bring true relief and living forward.
Inside a Tangle, your possibilities are limited. It may feel like you have none at all. Maybe you’ve given up on that whole thing ever changing… but it still brings suffering. Actually, in the very places where your life feels most Tangled, there is actually great potential for transformational change… and at some level you know it… but you don’t know how to get there.
Do you have a Tangle? You might want to watch this video…
At A Glance
|Who||For anyone who is struggling with the kind of issue that persists over many years and is hard to change.
|What||The creators of the Untangling™ Method, Ann Weiser Cornell and Barbara McGavin, offer an introduction to their process step by step so that you can begin to apply it to your own tangles immediately.
|Where||Live Online Course – join us from anywhere in the world!|
|Why||Our tangled and stuck life issues limit us from living our full, free, spontaneous and empowered lives. With Untangling™, our lives can open up to new possibilities, and what was impossible becomes possible again.
With Untangling™, you will learn how to:
- Step back from your Tangle so that you can start to find relaxed and creative responses to life’s problems instead of being stuck.
- Cultivate your resources of calm inner strength and self-compassion, so that you don’t feel stuck even if parts of you do.
- Separate out the different strands and threads in your Tangle so you can begin to feel more ease amid the struggle.
- Recognize “protector” parts that often masquerade as “thoughts,” or are invisible, yet are key to holding the Tangle in place… and to untangling it.
- Develop your capacity to be empathic and compassionate toward your own stuck and struggling parts so their grip on you begins to loosen as they feel understood… and new possibilities begin to emerge.
We Know… We’ve Been There
We created Untangling™ because we ourselves were all Tangled up in painfully impossible situations. In Ann’s case, addiction to alcohol. In Barbara’s case, depression that sometimes became suicidal. Focusing as we knew it then didn’t help. We had to come up with an approach that gave us real relief… and we did, in a series of intensive Focusing partnership sessions starting in September 1994.
Almost immediately, people asked us to teach them what we were learning. Since 1995 we have been leading Treasure Maps (Untangling™) retreats three or four times a year all over the world, enabling lasting change for hundreds and hundreds of people. We’ve refined our methods so that they are as easy to use and as effective as we can possibly make them… though we are still learning all the time.
Untangling™ isn’t easy. But with patience and persistence, it does work. We not only got more freedom from the place where our lives were limited and bound, but we also began to access capacities that had not been available before, for all kinds of reasons. (That is the treasure…)
Over time, our own lives have really changed. We have better relationships, more satisfying work, more fun… We are operating on a bigger scope with fewer limitations. And perhaps most important, when something is not wonderful, we have grounded, practical, dependable processes for facing those difficulties with calm, confident energy.
Have you been wishing you could get a start on Treasure Maps from the comfort of your own home?
For the past 20 years, we have only taught Treasure Maps in 6-day in-person retreats in beautiful parts of the world. Many people have taken those workshops and have told us how valuable this work has been in expanding what is possible in their lives. We are aware that many people may not be able to take that much time out of their lives or spend that much money.
Many of you have asked us how you can experience Treasure Maps if you are unable to attend a retreat. It is our dream to spread this work as far as possible, so we created a course called Untangling™: An Introduction to Treasure Maps.
Want a Free Taste?
Listen in to free webinar from February 20, 2018 to help you learn more about Untangling™.
Untangling™ is a process based on Inner Relationship Focusing that can help you be present with your tangled life issues in such a way that they can begin to untangle and you can live into your own new possibilities.
In this live one-hour webinar, the creators of Untangling™, Barbara McGavin and Ann Weiser Cornell, will give you a taste of Untangling™ that will probably be immediately helpful, and also answer questions about their upcoming Untangling™ course.
Click the image to the right to watch a past webinar where you’ll:
- Understand why some life situations (Tangles) are so hard to change that anything you usually do to try to change them just makes them more stuck… and what’s the difference between those and something that’s simply hard to change.
- Begin to encounter one of your own Tangles and learn how to approach it with fresh language that brings a new sense of spaciousness and hope.
- Learn three new questions to ask of your Tangle so that you shift your relationship with it from burden to curiosity.
What you will come away with at the end of the course:
- An understanding of why some situations are so stuck that any attempt at change just makes them more stuck – and what you can do instead.
- An understanding of why the inner state of Self-in-Presence, being able to keep company with anything, is key for Untangling™.
- A whole array of methods for cultivating Self-in-Presence, and plenty of practice in using the ones that work best for you.
- Ways to get beneath the surface of what is going on in a Tangle to the underlying conflicts involved in it.
- How to step back from the War between two or more parts in a Tangle, creating an inner environment where transformational change can take place.
- How to bring Deep Empathy to your inner world – developing your capacity for self-kindness and understanding – and why this is vital for real change.
The Structure of the Course
- We will meet on Zoom, a live online webinar platform, two hours a week, for five weeks.
- There are course handouts that are taken from the handouts for our Treasure Maps retreat.
- Each week there is a topic that is the next step in the process, starting with Getting to Know Your Tangle in Week One.
- Each week there is a guided exercise on that week’s topic that we will do together in class and which can be repeated either alone or with a Focusing partner.
- You have live interactive access to both teachers every week for questions and support… and by email between the classes.
- You get more out of the course the more commitment and practice you put into it…. of course!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Untangling™ course include everything that is in the Treasure Maps retreat?
Can’t make this time? You can register and participate by listening to recordings of the course each week at a time that works with your schedule. But you won’t be eligible for CE units.
Resident of Canada? If you are a resident of Canada, use Promo Code UTCANADA as you check out to get a $60 discount.
Took Untangling™ before? Use the code UNTANGLING50 when checking out to get a $50 discount.
Only one discount per customer, please.
Note: This course does not meet the prerequisite for Getting Free. For that, you need to take Path to Lasting Change Parts One & Two.
This workshop is not currently scheduled. Please contact us if you are interested in being
informed when this workshop goes on the schedule.
This workshop is not currently scheduled. Please contact us if you are interested in being informed when this workshop goes on the schedule.
How Online Courses Work
We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher. Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone. Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to a private webpage where course materials can be found.
Some Focusing experience, at a minimum an individual session with an Inner Relationship Focusing Teacher. Any Inner Relationship Focusing course also meets this requirement.
Continuing Education Credit & Course Completion Certificate
Course meets the qualifications for 10 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE units requires at least 80% live attendance. Missed classes must be made up.
Cancellations, Changes & Refunds
Up to 5 days before the first day of class: We will refund your course fee less a $35 cancellation fee. Avoid the cancellation fee by applying the entire course payment towards a future class. Changing your registration to a later offering of the same course must also occur 5 days prior to the beginning of class.
Cancellations received 4 days or fewer before class begins: No refund. Changing your registration within this window results in a $75 fee.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.
- Stephen J."From the very first class, I experienced things inside of me actually shifting in ways that were about more than just an intellectual understanding. Other people in my life commented on how I was different and how much they appreciated the change in me. My day-to-day interactions went more smoothly, felt more authentic and seemed to be more in tune with my desires for my life. Now, I am better able to make authentic choices for myself and to untangle stuck aspects of my life."
- Micheline G."The Untangling course helped me know that everything in me is on my side. Now, I'm able to be with everything and anything. I'm able to be present, listen, and let things unfold. It's not always easy yet I don't give up. There's hope in this process and I'm grateful to be connected with it and with all the wonderful people who are also devoted to the process. I am coming home to myself and it's so life-giving."
- C.R."I came to the Untangling course to deepen my Focusing practice and because "something" in me said this is what I need to do. It was right! What I loved about Untangling was the ability to really slow down the process and integrate it into my daily life. Now that I've completed the course, I feel more embodied and "real" in myself."
- Vanessa N."The biggest a-ha moment for me was when I suddenly realized that I was not that part of me that ALWAYS has a new strategy to jump-start my life. I finally understood that I'd been run since childhood by a partial-self with endless new plans that never brought me the peace it promised. Now, I do a much better job of welcoming my feelings with curiosity and Presence. I'm not afraid of strong emotions anymore."
- Susan K."Now that I've completed Untangling, I have tools and resources for moving forward in life where I was stuck before!"
- Candace B.
"I came to Untangling wanting to break free from some longstanding patterns that prevent me from living my life to its full potential. I'd tried other things and nothing helped. It was so frustrating. I'd come to accept that nothing about these specific patterns would ever change. When I'm stuck like this, I can be very resistant to inviting my true feelings and experiences to come to the surface. Untangling helped me step out of my head and into my body so that I could invite those experiences forward in a new way. Now, I can accept myself with compassion and I'm gaining the confidence to stay with myself, to discover the wisdom inside that's been dying to be heard."
- Paula T.
"Before Untangling, my life was at a stuck point. I couldn't see a way out. I'd tried other things but I could only get so far then the same problem would return. Untangling made a real difference. I was able to separate myself from the emotion that caused my anxiety. With perspective, I could observe the emotion in a more calm way. More importantly, I learned how to find what was needed to heal the experience that caused the emotion in the first place. I realized Untangling was different during the very first class. I was surprised to discover that my Tangle wants something for me! It isn't out to sabotage me as I'd always thought. What a relief. Now, I'm less anxious than I used to be."
- Cielle Backstrom
"I took the Untangling Course a year ago. I continue to work with elements of the same tangle from that time. Fortunately, I am finding that continuing to work with the tangle feels good and rewarding. Since that time so much has untangled. This is very apparent as I review the notes of the exercises from a year ago. At the same time it is amazing to see the many, many things that are inside this tangle. Things are surfacing this time that I never would have guessed were part of it a year ago. And I am finding that this tangle impacts many parts of my life, not just the issues that I felt were the “problem.” Thank you, Ann and Barbara."
- Michelle T."This was an amazing class. And what I loved about it were the very specific instructions and directions. So often we hear from others things like 'You just have to love yourself'... or 'Just give yourself a break and just BE.' As if it were that simple. If it were that simple, we'd already be doing it. Ann and Barbara give very specific directions of ways to use deep empathy to love all parts of ourselves. I will use these tools for a long time!"
- Marlys Mayfield"The Untangling course can give a long-time Focuser a welcome and refreshing new blast-off of energy."
- "I gained a profound sense of transformation and healing from my childhood. There were things there, in the past, that felt like a dark shadow with deep longings. They needed compassionate, nurturing attention and they found it in Treasure Maps. I now know how to be aware of and present with two conflicting aspects of myself without taking sides. I have tools to work with states of depression, shame and despair, procrastination, addictive behaviors, and obsession in my work with others. This workshop - the immediacy, depth of respect for one another, and profound wisdom of the body - is an experience I will always treasure."Heather Rogers
- "Treasure Maps gave me the tools to bring about transformative, sustainable change. When I returned home and found I wasn't irritable (like I used to be) and didn't even have to try to be open and loving, I felt free. It's been a dynamic and effective transformation."Gaye B.
- "Treasure Maps was absolutely amazing in content, the way it was organized, the experiential work we did. Even down to the way the course was delivered. It's clear that Ann and Barbara have developed this work over many years and are teaching from their personal experience. Halfway through the retreat, I was confident that whatever happens in my life from now on, I have a way of being with that in a compassionate, nonjudgmental way. My inner world feels more friendly now. I have more "space" inside - more peace. I discovered I really can be the environment for change. It's like being given a priceless gift. I am so grateful to Ann and Barbara for their work."Jennifer Edwards