Your Path to Lasting Change
Live, Online Focusing Training Program
Quiet Your Mind. Calm Your Emotions. Move Forward With Your Life.
Take a moment to consider what’s holding you back from the life you want.
Do stressful conversations trigger you? Are inner critics dragging you down? Do you struggle with habits that are holding you back?
It might not seem like it, but all of these things have one thing in common: how you relate to your emotions (and really, yourself).
When you have tools to “get bigger” than your emotions, your sense of inner peace will grow and your world will expand.
With our program, you’ll gain a sense of inner peace that will help you navigate all of life’s sticky situations – from frustrating self doubt to difficult coworkers.
You’ll no longer get triggered by disagreements with your loved ones. You’ll shift your relationship with those troubling inner critics. Habits that don’t help you will start to fade away.
Your life will improve when you learn and practice a helpful process called Focusing.
You walk in the door after a long, hard day.
All you want is a moment to relax, but before you can get your shoes off, your partner wants to discuss how you didn’t properly wring out the sponge that morning.
Your face gets hot and your thoughts start racing:
Do you think I’m an idiot? Why do you point out everything I do wrong?! Don’t I deserve a moment to relax?
You boil over and snap because you’re just too tired and frustrated to deal. It escalates into a full-blown fight until you go to bed not speaking to each other.
What if you had the ability to pause in stressful moments like this and find a calmer way forward?
With our live, online program, Your Path to Lasting Change, you’ll get a process to help you Quiet Your Mind, Calm Your Emotions, and Move Forward More Effectively.
“There IS something worthwhile that can be done to ease people’s suffering. Something that transforms the very fabric where people are stuck in their lives. It’s Focusing and it gives me practical hope for a better world.”
“Before taking the course, I often felt there was a giant weight bearing down on me. That left me feeling depressed, numb, and hopeless. I was constantly trying to avoid my feelings. While I still experience these feelings, I now have a way to engage with them that allows me to become bigger than they are.
“I have a process that helps me listen to my feelings instead of being overwhelmed by them. I’ve learned how to validate and empathize with my feelings so that their intensity decreases. I feel free of the oppressive weight I used to feel. The peace and calm I experience is extraordinary. There’s a saying, ‘leap and the net will appear,’ my experience is that Focusing is an extraordinary, powerful net.”
Find Out More About How Focusing Can Help You With a Free Taste…
A Free Mini-Course
Are you having a hard time sleeping? Feeling irritable or like you’re in a fog? Finding it difficult to cope with emotions you used to handle just fine? You’re probably stressed, and there are lots of good reasons why you’d be feeling that way right now.
If you’d like to get some relief, join Ann Weiser Cornell for her brand new 3-part webinar series, Stress Less: Ways to live a calmer life for a brighter future. It starts March 10th. Watch a video replay of the first video.
You’ll learn several simple, yet powerful practices to transform your relationship to stressful feelings and what causes them.
Have you ever experienced an inner voice that makes you feel bad?
A lot of people do. It can be downright judgmental like, “You should be better at this.” Or, “You’ll never be happy.” But it can also be subtle, like thinking you have to get everything perfect or know all the answers before you can move forward (and that can keep you from getting anywhere at all).
If self-doubt is destroying your peace of mind, Your Path to Lasting Change can help.
You’ll tame your harshest inner critics, find freedom from painful self-judgment, and find the confidence to move your life forward.
Once you learn how to shift harshness to support, you’ll create an inner sense of safety that’s unshakable, just like my student Emma did. Imagine how different life could be if your inner critics become trusted allies who root for you as you work toward the life you want…
“For the first time, with Focusing, I feel like I’m safe enough inside to feel all of my emotions. It’s so empowering for me to be able to learn how to hold myself with compassion and patience. In most practices, you need a therapist in order to get to this depth. I think one of the true strengths of Focusing is that after just a couple of courses, you have access to the process for yourself.”
Do you struggle with challenging habits, like binge-watching shows on Netflix rather than finishing that book you’ve always wanted to write?
Or maybe you find yourself rooting through the refrigerator for your 4th morning snack instead of getting outside and going for a walk.
In Your Path to Lasting Change, you’ll develop the ability to tune into what really needs your attention, instead of drowning out what might seem hard with habits that…well…aren’t so great for you.
You’ll learn how to relate to the part of you that wants to check out for a while. And you’ll finally move beyond feeling stuck, release those pesky self-limiting beliefs, and make more supportive choices.
My student, Bill, did exactly that when he transformed challenging habits with Focusing…
“Since I started Focusing, my sense of continual hunger is gone! I’m down 10 lbs and still dropping. I’ve been able to restart my exercise routine. Even my media addictions are gone. And I’ve stopped buying stuff on Amazon and Ebay cold turkey.
“In a recent Focusing session, hunger came up and I was able to sit with it. Until that moment, I hadn’t realized that buying was part of the hunger. What a cool thing to discover! I’m so grateful for my Focusing companions for their contribution to these significant changes in my life!!”
If you feel like your job is overwhelming – a never-ending to-do list, looming deadlines, and your co-worker, Craig, who makes you feel perpetually incompetent – you’re not alone.
According to stress.org, 94% of American workers report experiencing stress at their workplace.
With Your Path to Lasting Change, you’ll develop the ability to pause in the midst of your chaotic day and tap into a wellspring of inner calm (that I bet you didn’t even know you had!).
When your to-do list causes your anxiety to spike, you’ll have the skills you need to pause and not be taken over by a sense of panic. You’ll know exactly how to regroup and use your time effectively. No more spending your day spinning out, getting nothing done, and feeling bad about it later.
Or the next time Craig says something that causes part of you to feel incompetent, you’ll know how to relate to that triggered part so you don’t get stuck in an old familiar rut.
Your productivity will soar and your ability to navigate tricky office dynamics will have co-workers, and your boss, singing your praises.
“In the very first class, I was wowed by how much MORE I was learning. I was being given a wealth of new information and skills. My perfectionistic demands of myself decreased significantly. Now I have more self-confidence, self-acceptance, hope, and an increased ability to stay present even in the face of big emotions or challenges. I have more curiosity and a willingness to face things I once was afraid of.”
Rebecca W., L.M.F.T.
Here’s What You’ll Get When You Join Us:
What you learn in Part One
- How to cultivate an inner environment of calm, open, curious awareness, as well as why that’s so important and what to do if you can’t
- How to create an inner relationship with what you feel so change emerges naturally without being forced
- Guidance with the various trouble-spots that can come up in the learning process
- PLUS you’ll learn the surprising reason why trying to “fix” yourself doesn’t work to bring lasting change
- What the research shows about the real key to change
What you learn in Part Two
- How to nurture positive feelings as a resource (for yourself and others)
- More ways to help yourself (or a partner) when feeling overwhelmed by strong emotional states
- A step-by-step way to build the skills to guide another person through the process, starting with your classmates
- Understanding the most typical block to Focusing: getting stuck with a “feeling about a feeling,” (eg, not liking being afraid) – and how to help yourself and others shift this experience
- How to turn things around so your inner critics are on your side
- A wider understanding of the concept of “body” and what makes our bodies so wise
- How to let go of “rules” and still do Focusing — staying true to what is essential
- Mastery of the structure of the process so you’re able to improvise
You Can Be Effective and Empower Your Clients
Focusing has been linked in over 50 research studies with positive outcomes in therapy including greater emotional regulation, more satisfying relationships, and increased self acceptance.
Would you like ways to be more helpful to clients who:
- don’t know what they feel or feel “nothing”
- struggle with self-criticism and confusion
- feel stuck in their lives
- talk about feelings rather than having them
- get overwhelmed by intense emotion
- struggle with depression, addictions, and other effects of trauma
With Focusing, you’ll learn an experiential, body-oriented process of self-awareness and emotional healing that you can immediately bring into your work with clients. Add our Healing Professionals Track to receive additional content on integrating Focusing with your practice. Read more about our program for Healing Professionals here and add our Healing Professionals Track for only $100 per part during checkout.
Do I fit the Healing Professionals description?
From our perspective, Healing Professionals include: psychotherapists, coaches, bodyworkers, spiritual directors, physicians, healers, nurses and anyone who meets with clients for the purpose of healing and growth.
You’re going to love Focusing partnership!
Focusing partnership is the magic that makes it easy to keep doing this powerful process as long as you need it. All you do is keep a weekly appointment that lasts about an hour. With our Focusing training, lasting change gets built into your life!
In a series of confidence-building exercises, we show you how to support another person in Focusing, and also how to receive that support. It’s not counseling. You don’t even have to know what the person is talking about. And it’s actually calming… for both people.
Here’s the coolest thing: Focusing partnership is free! Yes, we still believe in therapy; some people need it. But most of the time all we need is a friendly neutral person who gives no advice and allows us to explore what is true.
Plus, what you learn about being a good listener can help all of your relationships. With your partner/spouse, your kids, your parents, your co-workers… what you learn in the Focusing Training Program helps you be a better communicator and a calmer listener.
The result: Much less interpersonal conflict!
We so believe in the work that we do that we strive to make it easily available, regardless of the size of your pocket book. Your investment in your well-being can start with less than $250.
The Structure of the Focusing Training Program
- There are two Parts. Take each one separately or sign up for both in advance.
- Each Part meets two hours per week over 9 weeks by Zoom, a live, online webinar platform
- You’ll get a new Focusing partner each week from the class participants. You’ll meet both in-class and after class to do a clear, structured exercise, gaining confidence and skills each week. You’re likely to meet a lifelong Focusing partner!
- Our highly experienced, knowledgeable teachers will give you personally tailored attention so each person can find their own way
- A 50-minute one-to-one session with Lucinda Hayden is included before Part One, so you can experience expert guidance through the Focusing process
- Engaging presentations, discussions, and demonstrations of course material
- The Focusing Student’s and Companion’s Manual which is provided as part of the course (by downloadable PDF for free or in hard copy at cost)
“What’s special about Focusing is this radical belief that we already have within us the next right step. Focusing helped me trust my process more and achieve the hoped-for results that always seemed out of reach with other programs. Now, with Focusing, I am able to reach deeper levels within myself and I trust my inner process more than before.”
Register for the Whole Focusing Training Program:
Your Path to Lasting Change, Parts One + Two
(and save $297!)
Join Us Beginning This October…
We offer 2 options for signing up.
Part 1 Only
5 payments of $205
or 1 payment of $947
Part 1 + Part 2 Package
8 payments of $215.50
or 1 payment of $1597
Payment plan available, displays on the last page during checkout (includes processing fees)
Your Path to Lasting Change Part One or Parts One and Two
$947.00 – $1,797.00
Option 1: Part One Only: October 12 to December 14
9 Tuesdays; 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Pacific (skip Nov 23)
Taught by Ann Weiser Cornell and Lucinda Hayden
Option 2: Parts One & Two: October 12 to December 14 and February 1 to April 5
9 Tuesdays; 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Pacific (skip Nov 23 & Feb 15)
Taught by Ann Weiser Cornell, Lucinda Hayden, and Carol Nickerson
Additional Course Details
Part One Includes: 50-minute Focusing session with Lucinda Hayden | Add the Healing Professionals Track: $100 for Part One only; $200 for Parts One & Two
Registration is limited to no more than 40 participants per course.
Even More Goodness: Your Program Bonuses
As soon as you register, you’ll have immediate access to 3 program bonuses so you can get started as soon as you like.
Click Here for Information on our Payment Plans
If you’re choosing to pay by installment plan, you’ll be able to make this selection further on in the checkout process. Look for the section labeled Payplan Options (where the red arrows in the image below are pointing):
Note: Payment plans include processing fees.
Can't Make These Dates Work?
Join our next course…
Coming in February 2022, 4 PM to 6 PM Pacific
Registration opens in October 2021
Already Taken Part One? Here’s our upcoming Path Part Two course.
Payment plan available, displays during checkout (includes processing fees)
Path Part Two is your next step if you’ve taken Your Path to Lasting Change Part One or Levels One AND Two with an Inner Relationship Focusing teacher.Registration for this course is now closed. Please contact us if you have any questions. Our next course registration will open within a week. Check back soon.
- Rebecca W., L.M.F.T."In the very first class, I was wowed by how much MORE I was learning. I had that wonderful sense of being in the presence of a true master teacher and mentor (Ann) as she encouraged us to just be present, empathic, and accepting with whatever was unfolding. It felt like a paradox. I was being given a wealth of new information and skills and I was also learning that I could be successful even without all that new knowledge IF I could just stay present, empathic, and accepting. My perfectionistic demands of myself decreased significantly. My enjoyment of the process increased, and those I was working with seemed to have bigger shifts with less effort. Now I have more self-confidence, self-acceptance, hope, and an increased ability to stay present even in the face of big emotions or challenges. I have more curiosity and a willingness to face things I once was afraid of. I also have more awareness of myself as part of a dynamic, ever-changing universe."
- Elizabeth"For me, a pivotal moment in the course came with the introduction of the language, 'I'm letting it know it can be as it is for as long as it needs.' I've done so much trying to change myself (that was the message I got growing up and still get from my family). That sentence is shifting how I heal - my patience and sense of gentleness towards myself, my patience as a parent. Now, I feel more openness. I know myself better, have more self awareness. I also have a tool to serve me when I feel overwhelmed, and some greater tools to use in my work with clients. I have no doubt that this work will make me a better parent in time. I'm still learning and I feel Focusing is helping."
- Micheline G."Before the Path to Lasting Change program, I was stuck in a pattern that repeated itself over and over again. It was like I was on a merry-go-round. An experience would trigger me and I'd feel agitated and then want to "fix" it. Now, when this comes up, I'm able to just be with it. I can let it be what it needs to be for as long as it needs to be. It's not about fixing anymore. It's a new way of developing a relationship with myself. It feels like coming home."
- Elisabeth, K."Before Your Path to Lasting Change, I was often overstrained to finish things. I'd start and then run out of energy. When I took breaks, I'd hide from challenges/the world and then I'd lose connection to my project and stop everything. That left me feeling guilty, weak, and good for nothing. Now I can distinguish if I'm starting a project from my heart or from the intention to be everyone's 'good girl'. I feel more confident in the decisions I make and I've stopped making useless plans. Best of all: the course gave me a deep conviction I'll be able to manage things I've always shied away from in the past. This course was my first step into Focusing and I know, from my heart, that I'll stay with it."
- G.S."Before the course, I struggled with feeling indecisive and experienced many inner conflicts. That left me feeling unhappy, nervous and made it hard to sleep. During the course, I found I could suddenly stop in the middle of the day and be aware that something inside me was not feeling good. I had the awareness to say hello to that and that small act changed everything. I found I could be friendly with thoughts and feelings I used to only want to get rid of (a strategy which did not work). More and more often, I'd find myself in a peaceful state and I really liked that."
- Shahid Khan"I knew the course made a difference for me when I noticed that during my dark times, I can be with my thoughts and feelings without needing to change them. I feel a deeper connection to myself now."
- Ber"Before Path to Lasting Change Part Two, I'd get identified with a perspective or part and it left me feeling doubtful, defeated, ashamed, and hopeless. Now, I have an anchor for pausing when I feel confused. I can wonder, "what am I identified with?" It helps me feel a sense of hope and even trust in myself. Here's what that looks like in my life... An inability to weather and recover from difficult emotional states were two things that simply felt like facts about me - things that could not or would not change. Yet, they've shifted. I am full of hope now that I can slow down and make healthier choices rather than reactive ones."
- Kim Phillips, Marriage & Family Therapist"Your Path to Lasting Change created a shift in my goals as a therapist. The surprise was, this course also created a shift within me. I found an awareness of my Self-in-Presence and learned to say 'hello' to the ever-changing aspects of myself that I experience as my emotional life. From the viewpoint of a therapist, before the course, I felt I had to be responsible for 'fixing' others. Now, being present within, I'm more often able to help others do the same -- to connect to their own emotional wisdom which allows them a lifetime of self-compassion and greater calm. Personally, Focusing gives me a feeling of being more alive, like the lights of awareness, acceptance, and peace have been switched on inside -- so critical during this time of social upheaval, COVID19, and general life unrest. I can't say enough about the course, because it's difficult to find the exact words to describe the experience of Focusing. Sometimes we just need to listen to something inside telling us to get off the fence and experience it for ourselves."
- Laura A.F."Focusing is really different because I am the expert on me. Before suffering, confusion, difficulty making decisions, self-blame, rage, and many other feelings seemed to be "me" but now there is an "I" that is separate from all this. A place where I feel good, free, restful, clear, and trust in the intelligence of the process itself. This is the gift that brings me all sorts of other gifts I am so grateful for. And what I most wish is to honor these gifts and live from this newly discovered identity."
- Dennis"Nothing has been so dramatically, directly and rapidly successful for creating change in my life as Focusing... It's been an avenue to some deep and profound personal understandings that transformed my sense of self and my connection with others."
- Jenna F."My biggest challenge before taking Your Path to Lasting Change was my new relationship. My partner was living authentically and I wasn't. It was a recipe for disaster as mistrust and miscommunication were common. I was terrified of losing the relationship. All the time, I'd have urgent, high-pressure, anxious feelings of needing to talk to him or wanting things to be a different way between us. After the course, I'm more at ease in my own skin. I'm better able to be with my feelings of anxiety or my urgent need to connect. Now, I'm more relaxed with my partner. I feel confident talking to him about whatever I need and know that even if I do upset him, it's okay. I can care for myself during times of upset. I also met so many great Focusing partners during the course and was able to arrange sessions as often as I wanted. This allows me to spend more time building my inner strength, helping parts move and transform. It's exactly what I wanted. I no longer have to wait a whole week for Focusing in therapy, I can work with my issues on my own in the company of a supportive, trained Companion. And I get to be that person for somebody else! I often say the price of the course is worth it just to have access to other trained Focusing partners because regular partnership really supports skill development in Focusing."
- S.G."After taking Your Path to Lasting Change, I'm starting to have visibility into behaviors and thoughts in a way I never have. I feel accepting of aspects of myself that I've spent a lifetime ignoring or pushing away or trying to talk myself out of."
- Nati Porat"Before I came to Focusing it never occurred to me that I could feel two (or more) seemingly contradictory feelings, or hold more than one position at once - for example: that I could be hurt, shocked or angry at someone’s actions AND also compassionate, empathic and forgiving at the same time...I thought I had to choose. The language of “something in me” is so revolutionary because it creates space for the complexity and ambiguity that most of us try to resolve artificially by narrowing our experience and identifying with one position. However, complexity of experience is the truth and once we have the language to hold this truth, our being thanks us profoundly!"
- L.R."Before taking the course, my biggest challenge was being with grief that I'd been avoiding for a long time. I felt hopeless, overwhelmed and stuck. Now, everything seems easier. I'm able to be with my grief without being overwhelmed or afraid of it (most of the time). I can support myself with empathy and validation for how I feel. I was on the fence for a long time (about taking the course) and I'm so glad I took the risk. I'd tried so many healing avenues without any forward movement, but Focusing is bringing me real change and ease. Plus, after a lifetime of not sleeping, I'm finally experiencing more nights where I sleep deeply and rest well!"
- Nour Al Mousawi"Before Path to Lasting Change my biggest challenge was disidentifying with emotions. It left me feeling confused and not sure what to follow — mental content or bodily experience. Now, I'm more aware of the importance of healing all my parts and the importance of not identifying with them. Over the past year, I've had a huge shift in my life and Focusing Training helped me go through his journey of listening to my strong emotions and being with them while also having more clarity about my passions, capacities, and self. Focusing Training helps you learn how to be free, how to be with all of yourself."
- Debra C."After the Path to Lasting Change course, I was able to see the simple but profound applications of listening in a Focusing way to anything. I now have the courage, confidence, and trust to stop and listen to some of my smallest, faintest, far-away-y parts. My life is moving forward in the most amazing ways. I want to use 100 exclamation points! I am so appreciative and grateful to be part of this learning community — I feel like a dream has come true and I've found my place."
- Elda P."Before Your Path to Lasting Change, I was often avoiding intense, uncomfortable feelings without realizing I was doing it. This left me feeling unsteady and agitated. I also used to be critical of my pace - described it as slow and tended to compare it to others. Now I allow myself to go at the pace that's good for me, even when I need a lot of time. And I can give uncomfortable feelings a gentle hand (on my belly or chest) to offer them presence or a place to be heard. I have more trust in what I sense and can give myself support and that's really great!"
- Jerene G."Before taking Your Path to Lasting Change, I felt stuck. Enforced inactivity due to the pandemic sapped my energy and my ability to concentrate. That left me feeling like a crummy third-rate human. I cried a lot. I hated that the pandemic had swept away my volunteer activities - places where I felt valuable and like I was helping in small ways. Through the course, I learned to be more patient with myself. I began to recognize several 'somethings' that pulled me in different directions. I discovered the miraculous feeling of calm and peace that comes from simply saying to a 'something,' "I hear you. Let me sit quietly and be with you." Part-way through the course I had an epiphany that shook me right down to my socks. I sat with an unpleasant feeling I was afraid of and I felt ITS fear for me! After staying with it, I was flooded with gratitude for this part that's been doing its best to protect me (generally by encouraging me to back away from unpleasantness). Now, I'm on speaking terms with several "somethings" in me - I'm able to communicate with them. I feel large, as Walt Whitman wrote. I feel like I fell into this course at exactly the right time. With every exercise, I learned new things about myself and my fellow humans. Internal walls and barricades, some I hadn't been aware of, have melted, shifted, bathed me in lightness and peace. If you decide to take this course, you'll be in the company of the kindest, most generous people you'll ever meet - some will be the instructors, but many will be your fellow students."
- Jana Schweeren"I used to find it challenging to coordinate all the tasks in my life and that left me feeling really stressed out. Now I feel a lot more grounded and able to move forward because I can do Focusing and get a different, calmer perspective on things I used to just ruminate about."
- Susan Choi"Before the course, I was aware of subtle anxious states I'd wake up with each day and how I'd quickly move those feelings aside or replace them with something more pleasant. Now I approach each morning's sensation with curiosity, instead of the knee-jerk impulse to "get rid of it". I'm learning there's nothing in me to be afraid of. I love the idea that there's nothing in me that needs to be rejected...nothing to be gotten rid of!"
- Paul Fitzgerald, DMin"I took this course to incorporate Focusing into my work with people as a life coach and spiritual director. I've been leading people in self-discovery for more than 20 years and Focusing is a powerful addition to my work. The course offered me insights from actual experience about Focusing dynamics that were only concepts from the reading I'd done previously. The skills gained in both using Focusing for myself and in companioning others are invaluable."
Meet Your Teachers
Lucinda is a gifted, warm teacher who inspires and connects to help bring out the life-forward direction in each of her students. She has been working closely with Ann Weiser Cornell for many years. She has over 20 years of experience as a teacher and as a healing professional. She is also a world traveler with a gift for connecting with people of many cultures.
Ann Weiser Cornell
Ann Weiser Cornell, author of Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change,The Power of Focusing, and The Radical Acceptance of Everything, has devoted her life to helping people learn Focusing easily. Ann learned Focusing from its originator, Eugene Gendlin, in 1972, and worked closely with him for years. Today Ann is internationally recognized as one of the leading innovators and theoreticians of Focusing. She has taught Focusing in over twenty countries, and her Focusing books and manuals have been translated into eleven other languages.
Carol is a committed, empathic teacher whose priority is to meet her students where they are and to facilitate a respectful, open and attuned relationship with those she works with. Carol’s students, many of whom are helping professionals themselves, have described her as “down to earth,” “easy to be with,” and “intuitive.” Carol loves to share practical and transformative tools for personal growth and healing.
“Ann Weiser Cornell and I have been working closely together for thirty years, and she knows as much about Focusing as I do. Ann is a powerful force for good in the world.”
— Eugene Gendlin, author of Focusing
More About What People Are Saying
“I used to experience painful depressions that I felt I had little control over. I haven’t experienced depression since learning Focusing. I had trouble handling disagreement and differences of opinion. I listen to others with greater caring now, and am enjoying all my relationships more.
Before Focusing, my husband and I often had painful, confusing conflict. My marriage is now the joy that I want it to be. It used to be hard for me to know what I was feeling, because there was so much I was on the verge of knowing about myself that I was afraid to know. Now, I can turn toward all that.
I have the ability to notice feelings of all kinds, and relate to them in a friendly way that helps them relax and reveal what is important in them. I used to be very hard on myself, believing I had to be perfect, and berating myself for my failures. I now have a much more compassionate relationship with myself, owning (and cherishing) my own humanness and imperfectness.
At one point in my life, I truly thought there was something essentially defective about me. Now I feel so……well, human. And joined in that humanity by everyone else.”
Jill Drummond, Manalapan, New Jersey
“After just two courses of Focusing training I’ve discovered things about myself I’m really excited about, and I’m started to be able to do things to move forward that I’ve always wanted to do. I have been working as a coach and therapist since 1988. I took what I was learning from the very first week of the course into to my client sessions, with amazing results. I deal a lot with clients who have anxiety issues…and after 30 minutes of Focusing my clients were saying, ‘Wow, what’s that?’
Even more important is how it’s helped me. I grew up as a little boy feeling anxious, waking up in the mornings not sure what I could count on in the world. What I’ve noticed from the Focusing training is, now I can be with that aspect of myself that feels anxious. I can be with it like an old friend.
I have to say that the decision to take this course ranks up there with the best decisions in my life.”
-Roy Gould, psychotherapist and life coach, New Brunswick, Canada
“In Focusing, I have found for myself “The Something” that I have been looking for so long. Focusing is such a great gift to open and deepen the relationship to and with my inner body. Focusing opens deep hidden inner doors and lets new light shine on buried resources. I believe we can only understand ourselves as a whole in the synthesis of body and mind. Focusing is such a valuable method because I can apply it to myself as an empowered Focuser, as well as to my clients. I am very grateful to learn it step by step through the Focusing Resources courses.”
Michaela Jerusalem, Psychotherapist, MBA and Mediator, Aachen, Germany
Got Questions? We’ve Got Your Answers…
What happened to the Levels?
If you’ve heard of Focusing elsewhere, you’re probably familiar with classes called Levels One through Four. Here’s how our courses fit into that system…Your Path to Lasting Change Part One is equivalent to Levels One and Two. Your Path to Lasting Change Part Two is equivalent to Levels Three and Four. If you have questions about where to start, email Allison.
What's so different about Focusing?
Focusing goes counter to most of the messages around us. We are told how to feel, or to “get over” how we feel, and we are never ever taught about the body felt sense that is the real way through our difficulties.
Why do you feel so stuck? Why do feel like you’ve tried everything and nothing has worked? Why do you go around in circles, repeating what hasn’t worked, feeling the same emotions, and no farther along than before?
It’s not that there’s something wrong with you. I really want you to hear that! So I’m going to say it again.
It’s not that there’s something wrong with you, it’s that the whole way our modern culture is set up leaves us cut off from our bodies and our source of wisdom. And if you suffered traumatic experiences or came from a dysfunctional family (like I did), that makes it even harder to stay in touch with yourself.
Is this therapy? Coaching? Meditation? Positive visualization?
Focusing isn’t any of those things…. But it has similarities to each of them. (And can be used with those other methods to enhance their effects.)
As in therapy or coaching, you can get positive change on deeply held, long term issues, as well as releasing blocks to taking practical action. But unlike therapy or coaching, you do Focusing on your own or with partners in a free exchange. You learn a way of being that you have with you at all times, and once you learn it, it costs you nothing more.
As in meditation, Focusing has an essential quality of acceptance, and you can find greater inner peace and detachment from stressful emotional states or thoughts. But unlike meditation, Focusing is more engaged, practical, issue-oriented – being about a particular life situation.
As in positive self-talk or visualization, you can access the very best of your potential for moving forward with your life without getting stuck in negative emotions. But unlike positive self-talk or visualization, Focusing is grounded in your whole self, inclusive of all your feeling states, so you aren’t leaving out aspects of yourself that can return in a backlash later.
Do I need to be there every week?
Please plan to attend all 9 class sessions for the full time of the meeting. Missing 1-2 classes can be worked around if absolutely necessary. (There’s a process for making up what you missed.) If you miss more than 1-2 classes, you’ll need to repeat the course in order to move on to subsequent courses. Please note, missing more than 20 minutes of class counts as an absence.
How do online courses work?
All you need is a phone, tablet, or computer and a comfortable place to sit! We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher.
Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone.
Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to an online classroom portal where course materials can be found.
What's included in each Part of this program?
- Nine two-hour meetings for a total of 18 hours of class time.
- One individual Focusing session (50 minutes) with Lucinda Hayden. (Value: $197.) Information on scheduling your individual session will be provided via email after registering. This is for Part One only.
- Your own copy of The Focusing Student’s and Companion’s Manual (value: $23), provided as a PDF file.
- Unique Focusing Exercise Sheets for every paired class exercise so you know exactly what to do to make the exercises most effective for yourself and your partner. (We innovated these Exercise Sheets and they really work.)
- Up to one hour of Focusing partnership, in between class meetings each week, to further develop your Focusing skills.
- A class roster with contact information so you can connect with your assigned partners each week to practice the skills you’re learning during class.
- Access to recordings of every class, so you’ll be able to listen again to anything you want to hear twice – or over and over again.
- An online classroom portal where you can access homework, recordings, and other important class information from any web browser.
- Email and/or phone support from the teacher and the class assistants if you have questions between the class meetings or need extra help.
What if none of your dates and times work for me?
Your Path to Lasting Change courses are offered 3 times per year starting in February, April, and October.
Can I receive Continuing Education Credits and/or a Certificate of Completion?
Each part meets the qualifications for 22 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE units requires at least 80% live attendance. If you miss a class, it must be made up.
Cancellations, Changes & Refunds
Up to 14 days before the first day of class: Just let us know and we’ll refund your course fee. Or you can choose to apply the entire course fee towards a future class with us.
Cancellations received 13 days or fewer before class begins: No refund, sorry.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.
What if I've already taken Level One, Two, or Three?
If you took Focusing Level One from Focusing Resources in the last two years, we’ll give you a discount for taking Part One of the Your Path to Lasting Change. Just email Allison to request the repeat fee discount code.
If you’ve taken Level One and Level Two, you’re qualified to sign up for Part Two.
If you’ve taken Level Three from us in the last two years, email Allison to get a discount code for Part Two.
What additional support is included with the Healing Professionals (HP) Track?
Combined with the Focusing Training Program, our Healing Professionals Track provides additional audio and video content specifically tailored for Healing Professionals (HPs) who want to bring Focusing into their work with clients. Read more here.
Tell me more about the recordings for this course
To respect the confidentiality and privacy of our participants we do not provide video recordings of our classes. All recordings are provided as audio files.