“Definition: An inner criticizing part is any part of you that believes that you or another part of you has to change in order for you to be OK.”
― Ann Weiser Cornell, Radical Gentleness
Being kind to yourself might not come easy for you…
Inner critics can be crushing, right? From paralyzing you with perfectionism to hurling shame-inducing words your way, they know how to hurt you.
Being kind to yourself takes practice. Self-compassion is not a skill that’s given much attention in our pressure cooker of a society. But it’s oh-so-important to living a happy, peaceful life. And I’m here to show you how to treat yourself with more kindness.
It might surprise you to hear that inner critics actually have good intentions. They’re really just trying to save your life (I promise!). They mean well. But they’re afraid of what might happen if you ____ . And the only way those voices know how to defend you leaves you feeling terrible.
I know how easy it is to get hijacked by a mean inner voice. And how impossible it can feel to move forward when that happens. I’d love to show you what else is possible.
Does your inner critic:
- Tell you, “You’re not good enough”?
- Second-guess most everything you say or do?
- Rehash your bad decisions and make you relive past mistakes?
- Compare you to other people and point out your short-comings?
- Hover in the background, constantly worrying about what might go wrong, even when things are going well?
Let me introduce you to the Finding Freedom From Inner Critics course
I created the Finding Freedom From Inner Critics course to give you the skills and support you need to treat yourself with more kindness.
You’ll learn how to easily recognize when inner critics are afoot and one powerful way to settle them down right away. You’ll get practical, step-by-step processes to help you move beyond feeling hijacked, frozen, or drained by the voices that speak harshly to you. And you’ll develop a regular practice of being kinder to yourself.
Every day, for 21 days, you’ll get practices designed to support you in releasing old habits of self-criticism while developing self-compassion skills. If self-acceptance seems challenging, don’t worry — every day you’ll get real-world examples of what it sounds/looks/feels like to treat yourself with compassion.
The structure and guidance you get in the Finding Freedom From Inner Critics course makes it easier to change the way you experience inner critics. Plus, you’re not alone. The moment you join, you become part of a community of people working on the same issues and concerns who can help you stay on track.
Get your first practice the day you sign up.
“When I accept what is here right now, and give it space to be exactly as it is, it is more likely to change.”
― Ann Weiser Cornell
- Being Gentle with Yourself
- Is It Possible to be Okay with Making Mistakes?
- The Three Secrets of the Inner Critic
- Imposter Syndrome – “If They Only Knew What a Fake I Am”
- Negative Labelling – “I am bad, a failure, stupid, worthless, etc.”
- What Inner ‘Should’s’ Do to Your Ability to Take Action
- Freezing — And Why You Do It
- Not Feeling Good Enough As You Are & The Need to Be Perfect
- Why Not Just Tell the Critic to Get Lost?
- The Most Tragic Love Story on Earth – Your Inner Critic and You
- Living a Critic-Free Life – Radical Self-Acceptance
- And ten more!
About Your Teacher
Ann Weiser Cornell struggled with painful inner critics that contributed to her experience of addiction, social anxiety, and inability to do the things she most wanted to do.
Ann created Inner Relationship Focusing with her long-time colleague, Barbara McGavin, to help people learn to listen compassionately to all the inner voices. Along the way, Ann and Barbara developed a radical new process for relating to the self-blaming voices inside them. It changed their lives, and it became their mission to help others transform as well.
For over 35 years now, Ann’s been teaching this practical, revolutionary process to people all over the world. With the Finding Freedom From Inner Critics course, you get the benefit of Ann’s expertise and the chance to practice the simple, yet revolutionary process of Focusing with her gentle, compassionate guidance.
Ann is the author of 21 Days to Healthier Boundaries, Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change, The Power of Focusing, and The Radical Acceptance of Everything. Today she is internationally recognized as one of the leading innovators and theoreticians of Focusing.
“Our relationship with the inner critic is the most tragic love story on earth. That there’s something inside you that wants only for you to be safe, and it’s doomed to talk to you in a voice that makes you sure it hates you.”
― Ann Weiser Cornell
Are you ready to transform a tragic love story
into a healing one?
Learn how to:
Finding Freedom From Inner Critics
21-day, on-demand video course
On-Demand Learning, Lifelong Access: Your course materials are online so you get them no matter where in the world you might be… Plus, you have them for life (or as long as Focusing Resources exists).
“All inner critics have a powerful secret. They’re really just trying to save your life.” ― Ann Weiser Cornell & Barbara McGavin
What Happens When You Order
Click the Add to Cart Above and you’ll be taken to your secure order page.
Login to Your Account
Complete your order and set up your account with Ruzuku, our online course provider.
Access Your Course
Your Start Here lesson is available now. Daily course content begins on a scheduled date (see registration section above for details).
Be Supported In Your Process!
You won’t be going it alone! You’ll have access to a forum to chat with other students, plus access to Ann for parts where you might feel stuck
Available at Your Convenience
Once class begins, you can access new content (delivered daily) whenever it works for you. You get lifetime access, so you can revisit the material anytime
This course includes beautiful PDF worksheets to help you integrate your learning. There will also be checkpoints during the course to check-in on your progress.
What People Are Saying
- Lauren Taub Cohen"Prior to this course, I often found myself stuck in a never-ending battle with a monstrous Inner Critic who tirelessly blamed me, shamed me, and judged me. It was brutal and exhausting! I signed up for this course hoping for even the slightest bit of relief. And, just one day into the course, I began to experience more relief than I thought possible. Ann’s bite-size teachings combined with her skillfully guided practices created a seismic shift and lasting change. I’ve never felt more resourced and resilient! As a result, I'm living more fully and daring more greatly."
- Tessa H."Before the course, I was exhausted by my constant inner critic and never really felt good enough despite all my efforts to be perfect. I feel more at peace with myself now. I'm better at allowing all Parts to feel what they feel and being with them instead of wanting them to stop and go away. I've known for some time that the 'critic' was trying to protect me, but wasn't aware that the Part that tried to 'help' the critic was actually not Self-in-Presence but a Part that wanted to make it better (and therefore couldn't really accept the worries of the critic). This has been a big shift for me. This course is worth every minute and every penny spent on it!"
- Ann M."I've been working with my inner critics for many years, but now I have a better sense of "Self-in-Presence" and more feedback from my younger parts who have been so terrified, anxious, and lonely. I can hear more from them about what they are not wanting to have happen to me. This helps greatly reduce emotional fear and the "flight response" these parts have used in the past. Before the course, I'd get scary images of what might happen to me or those I loved and I'd feel fearful. Now, the intensity of my emotional reaction to those images has lessened and the images themselves are less scary."
- Elisabeth K."Before the course, there was an important task I couldn't handle. I couldn't even move my hand in the direction of the task. I felt anxious, incapable, and completely overwhelmed. Now, I am better able to face the demands of the task and no longer feel totally blocked. It's still not fun, but at least I'm able to face the challenge. I think it's so important to get to know your inner critics. Understanding and accepting them can change so much. And even if you're new to Focusing, this course helps you reevaluate problems and find unexpected access to new solutions. I'd recommend it to anyone."
- Amy Russell"I am blown away by the power of this material. Before the course, I was stuck with an inner critic that hounded me 24/7 which left me feeling hopeless and exhausted, yet still sensing that 'there must be a better way to live.' In the course, I discovered the positive intent of inner critics; that 'I' am more than the inner critic; that the inner critic 'speaks' through body sensations and feelings as well as voices and images; that the inner critic has much wisdom to offer — wisdom that emerges in layers when I listen without attachment. These were huge learnings. On a more specific note, I have lived with a knot in my stomach most of my life, a knot sourced in unprocessed emotions. Nothing I tried alleviated that knot. But during this course, I had many moments where the knot began to release! I am deeply grateful to have ongoing access to the materials because I realize integrating these techniques is a matter of practice. I look forward to re-visiting the lessons again and again."
- Jackie S."Before the course, I was often vacillating between feeling like I was incapable of accomplishing goals and that I was a failure for not accomplishing goals. And that left me feeling powerless, anxious, frozen, and depressed. Now, I know how to be compassionate to both those parts of myself (the one who feels incapable and the one who feels like a failure), while also separating my present self from them, so that I am free to start actually working toward the life I want. Working with the inner critic is transformational!"
- C.L."This is the most valuable focusing class I have ever taken. I didn't realize how devastating inner critic attacks were to my ongoing sense of well-being. Not only do I know that now, but I've also learned effective ways of being with this worried part of me. My life has changed dramatically as a result. I'm immensely grateful. Before the course, my life was often in the pits, I was discouraged about ever being able to attend groups comfortably. Now, I know my inner critic was instrumental in causing these feelings AND my relationship with my inner critic has changed dramatically. Instead of attacking me, I would now say it gives me a warning, letting me know it's worried about something. And I'm able to listen to it and let it know I understand its worries. It's wonderful to know an inner critic "attack" isn't going to send me down the tube for a long stay. I'm very very happy about all this!"
- Katharine L."I am immeasurably grateful for the ease Focusing brings to my life! Before this course, I wasted so much of my vitality spinning in place trying to get away from the Inner Critic. It left me feeling exhausted and defeated. Now, two big things have shifted: 1) The other day the Inner Critic sent me some frightening images (of what might happen). Because of this course, I was able to notice the images and thank my Inner Critic for trying to help me. I could listen to it, heed the warning it was offering, and take the steps needed to protect myself. 2) I used to worry a lot about whether or not I was liked. Now, I recognize there are people who don't like me and that's OK. I have enough loving people in my life. This course offers practical ways to easily shift unhappy things we do to ourselves when we're caught up in the Inner Critic."
- Charles Herr"Before I took the course, recognizing the various ways the inner critic can show up was my biggest challenge. But... I didn't know that until I took the course! Now, I can recognize manifestations of the inner critic more readily. That opens the door to valuable inner work and transformation...and more freedom!"
- L.R."This course is life-changing. Before the course, when I'd speak up (in class for example), something in me would say, 'You should never speak up. No one wants to hear from you...' Now, I can turn towards this something and say, 'Hello... I'm sensing you might be worried...' I am able to listen and hear all it has to tell me. I know I'm okay and I can be with whatever needs my presence and empathy. I love the 21-day format! Receiving a lesson every day felt so supportive. Learning to cultivate Self-in-Presence is what I've been needing all my life! Thank you!"
How am I going to fit this into my life right now?
The great news is that you can take this course whenever it works for you. You get content when you want it, plus lifetime access. No stressing out about being somewhere on time. Way less pressure to move through the material at a pace that might not fit for you. The lessons are compact and set up so that you can do them in small bites or big chunks depending on your learning style and your availability.
Do I get access to the course all at once?
No. You’ll have access to the first lesson of the course as soon as you sign up. Every day you’ll get a new lesson released to you. We provide the content in ‘small bites’ like this because taking time to practice the material and move forward in small, consistent steps supports you in making the kinds of changes you really want to make.
How is the course content provided?
The classroom is virtual and taught in a learning platform called Ruzuku. Materials are provided via a combination of video, audio slideshows, and written content to cover a variety of learning styles. There is a forum so you can connect with other program participants and be part of a dynamic learning community. And you get lifetime access to all of it. Go through it once and come back anytime you need some extra support to handle life!
Can my friend and I share the course?
Thanks for asking. Each course is licensed to a single user – you! While we can’t authorize you to share the materials, we’d love to have your friend participate too. Please feel free to invite them to sign up too!
Are CE Credits available?
No, we’re sorry. Continuing Education Units (CE Credits) are not available for this course. If you need CE Credits, please check out our upcoming live online courses here.