Your Path to Lasting Change
Live, Online Inner Relationship Focusing Training Program
Be part of a revolution of kindness – to yourself and others.
In Your Path to Lasting Change, you’ll learn a powerful skill called Inner Relationship Focusing.
Our feelings profoundly influence how we experience life, yet many of us weren’t really taught how to work with them. Odds are you can identify with one of these common ways feelings are (or aren’t) addressed:
- your feelings were discouraged while you were growing up
- you learned emotions were scary and overwhelming
- or maybe feelings just weren’t talked about
You’ll find that when you can turn toward your feelings with compassion, something new and surprising happens. This approach works on everything from overwhelm and conflicting feelings to feelings so subtle you barely notice them.
With Focusing, you’ll be able to truly understand how you feel and what you need. Focusing empowers YOU to make your own choices and get in touch with your own truth.
Is Path to Lasting Change Right For Me?
If you want to learn a skill to bring more happiness, calm, and ease to your life, or to the lives of others, our Inner Relationship Focusing Training Program is for you!
You’re Committed to Helping Yourself
Whether you’re new to self-care or you’ve taken other programs to help you improve your life, Your Path to Lasting Change will give you the skills to feel what it’s like to love yourself. The Inner Relationship Focusing process works wonders for people, and…it takes commitment.
Our primary goal is to give you abilities that will serve you for life. If you’re willing to invest the time in yourself to learn and practice the process, your quality of life will improve.
You’re Committed to Helping Others
If you’re a therapist or a coach, we offer additional content for Helping Professionals. Get a new set of powerful tools to work with your clients when they’re stuck or suffering from emotional overwhelm. Find out more here.
And if you find you love the Focusing process and want to teach it to others, after completing Your Path to Lasting Change, you can take our Certification program to help you turn Focusing into your profession.
Does Focusing Work?
Over 50 research studies have linked Focusing with positive outcomes in therapy
including greater emotional regulation, more satisfying relationships, and increased self acceptance,
but you don’t need to be in therapy to benefit from the process!
Hear what some of our past students experienced in our program…
“I used to experience painful depressions that I felt I had little control over. I haven’t experienced depression since learning Focusing. I had trouble handling disagreement and differences of opinion. I listen to others with greater caring now, and am enjoying all my relationships more.
Before Focusing, my husband and I often had painful, confusing conflict. My marriage is now the joy that I want it to be. It used to be hard for me to know what I was feeling, because there was so much I was on the verge of knowing about myself that I was afraid to know. Now, I can turn toward all that.
I have the ability to notice feelings of all kinds, and relate to them in a friendly way that helps them relax and reveal what is important in them. I used to be very hard on myself, believing I had to be perfect, and berating myself for my failures. I now have a much more compassionate relationship with myself, owning (and cherishing) my own humanness and imperfectness.
At one point in my life, I truly thought there was something essentially defective about me. Now I feel so……well, human. And joined in that humanity by everyone else.”
Jill Drummond, Manalapan, New Jersey
“Before the course, I felt anxious, stressed, depressed, and unworthy. I had a hard time having a positive relationship with aspects of myself. Now, I’m much better able to accept myself — what’s there inside. I got very comfortable with the Focusing process and built up a couple of amazing Focusing partnership relationships. I learned again and again that situations I find myself in are there to learn from. The barriers put up are inside me and can be transformed so I can find a real path forward. I’ve been able to solve things better, to let go of things more easily, to enjoy more.”
“Since I started Focusing, my sense of continual hunger is gone! I’m down 10 lbs and still dropping. I’ve been able to restart my exercise routine. Even my media addictions are gone. And I’ve stopped buying stuff on Amazon and Ebay cold turkey.
“In a recent Focusing session, hunger came up and I was able to sit with it. Until that moment, I hadn’t realized that buying was part of the hunger. What a cool thing to discover! I’m so grateful for my Focusing companions for their contribution to these significant changes in my life!!”
“For the first time, with Focusing, I feel like I’m safe enough inside to feel all of my emotions. It’s so empowering for me to be able to learn how to hold myself with compassion and patience. In most practices, you need a therapist in order to get to this depth. I think one of the true strengths of Focusing is that after just a couple of courses, you have access to the process for yourself.”
“There IS something worthwhile that can be done to ease people’s suffering. Something that transforms the very fabric where people are stuck in their lives. It’s Focusing and it gives me practical hope for a better world.”
“What’s special about Focusing is this radical belief that we already have within us the next right step. Focusing helped me trust my process more and achieve the hoped-for results that always seemed out of reach with other programs. Now, with Focusing, I am able to reach deeper levels within myself and I trust my inner process more than before.”
“We often think that change has to be difficult or challenging, but Focusing has taught me it can be gentle and beautiful. The secret of Focusing is realizing you don’t have to change anything–you can just be with your emotions as they are. Before Path to Lasting Change, I didn’t have a way to teach my coaching clients how to move through uncomfortable emotions and that left me feeling impotent, pushy, and unprepared. Now, I have a method to show my clients the power of going inward in a safe, gentle way.“
“For over 30 years I’ve been searching for effective ways to help myself and others maximize their unique potential and alleviate the distinctive suffering that manifests from living with a tricky and highly complex human mind and nervous system or more simply stated, from being human. Inner Relationship Focusing is THE most powerful, effective, and elegant human technology for individual and community well-being I’ve ever encountered. In the relatively short period of time, I’ve been engaged in Focusing both personally and in my work with clients, the shifts and openings that have occurred are astounding. My life is opening up, the well-being of my clients is expanding, and all in the context of a global pandemic. Amazing!”
“After just two courses of Focusing training I’ve discovered things about myself I’m really excited about, and I’m starting to be able to do things to move forward that I’ve always wanted to do. I have been working as a coach and therapist since 1988. I took what I was learning from the very first week of the course into to my client sessions, with amazing results. I deal a lot with clients who have anxiety issues…and after 30 minutes of Focusing my clients were saying, ‘Wow, what’s that?’
Even more important is how it’s helped me. I grew up as a little boy feeling anxious, waking up in the mornings not sure what I could count on in the world. What I’ve noticed from the Focusing training is, now I can be with that aspect of myself that feels anxious. I can be with it like an old friend.
I have to say that the decision to take this course ranks up there with the best decisions in my life.”
-Roy Gould, psychotherapist and life coach, New Brunswick, Canada
Some Ways Focusing Can Help You
Many people struggle with an inner critic.
It can be mean: “You should be better at this,” or “How could you be so stupid!” It can also be subtle, making you think you have to get everything perfect. Sometimes it shows up as Imposter Syndrome, sowing seeds of self-doubt.
If you’re ready to feel better about yourself, let go of painful self-judgment, and find the confidence to move your life forward, Your Path to Lasting Change can help.
Do other people trigger you (even the ones you love)?
If conversations with your boss cause your anxiety to spike or disagreements with your partner make your temper flare, you’re not alone. We’ve all experienced stress resulting from other’s feelings and expectations about us.
With Your Path to Lasting Change, you’ll develop the ability to pause in the midst of a tense interaction and tap into a wellspring of inner calm (that you might not even know you had!). You’ll have the skills you need to avoid saying or doing something you later regret.
Are challenging habits keeping you from the life you want?
Do you find yourself binge-watching shows on Netflix rather than finishing that book you’ve always wanted to write? Or maybe you end up rooting through the refrigerator for your 4th morning snack instead of getting outside and going for a walk.
In Your Path to Lasting Change, you’ll develop the ability to tune into what really needs your attention, instead of drowning out what might seem hard with habits that…well…aren’t so great for you.
Inner Relationship Focusing Will Change Your Life
You’ll learn how to shift inner-harshness to support and create an inner sense of safety that’s unshakable. And you’ll finally release those pesky self-limiting beliefs and step into the life you want.
You’ll become a better communicator and a calmer listener and that will help all of your relationships. With your partner/spouse, your kids, your parents, your co-workers, and even strangers…
When you’re feeling stuck, you’ll have the skills to relate to the part of you that wants to check out for a while. Instead of binging on shows, or snacks, or shopping when uncomfortable feelings show up, you’ll be able to make more supportive choices.
About the Program
Everything is Online – No Travel Required
This course is accessible by computer, tablet, or smart phone. If you can connect to the internet, you can connect to this course!
Your class meets on Zoom for two hours each week. During class, our well-trained teachers will teach you the Focusing process. You’ll get to practice your new skills with fellow students and have the opportunity to get your questions answered.
All course materials, including streaming videos, MP3s, a beautiful PDF workbook, and additional resources can be found on our online student portal. You’ll have lifetime access to the course to revisit lessons as often as you like.
Outside of class, you’ll have a weekly partnership practice, plus access to a forum to chat with students and teachers.
A 2-Part Program To Make Learning Easier
This is deep work, so we’ve divided it into two 9-week parts to make it easier to absorb. We provide a break between the courses to give you time to put your new skills into practice.
In Part One, you’ll get to know the Focusing process and start to incorporate it into your daily life. In Part Two, you’ll learn new concepts and further develop your confidence with Focusing.
You can sign up for both parts at once, or just get started with Part One and sign up for Part Two later. Wondering what’s different about taking both Parts together versus just taking Part One? Imagine taking a language course… If you only take beginning French, you could visit France and order a meal or ask for directions. But if you also took advanced French, you’d have a much richer experience, able to have real conversations and connect with people.
What you’ll learn in Part One
- How to pause in stressful moments and find a calmer way forward
- How to cultivate an inner environment of calm, open, curious awareness
- How to create a relationship with what you feel so change emerges naturally
- Guidance with trouble-spots
- The surprising reason why trying to “fix” yourself doesn’t work to bring lasting change
- What the research shows about the real key to change
What you’ll learn in Part Two
- How to nurture positive feelings as a resource
- More ways to help yourself and others when feeling overwhelmed
- How to guide another person through the Focusing process, starting with your classmates
- How to turn things around so your inner critics are on your side
- What makes our bodies so wise
- Mastery of the structure of the process
Your Path to Lasting Change, Part One
- Learn a new way to bring awareness into your body
- Experience the benefits of taking a fresh approach to your feelings
- Understand why describing, rather than labeling feelings can bring change
- Truly understand what brings about Radical Acceptance
Becoming the Environment of Change
- Get specific phrases to help find calm when your emotions are taking over
- Learn one key element that makes lasting change possible
- Experience how Focusing partnership can help you truly know what you’re feeling
Changing by Not Trying
- Understand why your assumptions about your feelings might be misleading
- Experience how to start with a life issue and get a real understanding of what’s behind it
- Learn a method to let change come naturally, without trying to force it
The Power of Inner Empathy
- Get to know what is at the root of your feelings
- Develop an understanding of why having compassion for all of your feelings is important
- Learn how to be present and a good listener for another person
The Power of Not Knowing
- Develop clarity around complicated feelings
- Refine your ability to really understand what someone is saying
- Understand why simply being with an experience and not trying to change it actually allows for real change
“Slow is the New Fast”
- Experience how simply pausing and taking time can allow for deeper transformation
- Learn how to be a better communicator when someone needs patience
- Experience how tapping into how your body feels can help bring positive change
I and It – The Inner Relationship
- Learn how to become aware when a feeling or part of you has “taken over”
- Learn how to get some emotional space from stressful feelings or parts
- Understand why empathy is important in working with uncomfortable feelings
- Understand how language plays an important role in working with uncomfortable feelings
The Art of Listening
- Discover how to listen for what someone else is actually feeling
- Learn how to listen in a way that actually benefits another person
- Understand how patience and attention can allow a feeling to change
- Experience true radical acceptance of all of your feelings
- Feel the benefits of one’s Focusing practice, including:
> Being less reactive in stressful situations
> Being less dependent of distraction from/suppression of feelings
> Improved relationships
> More ease in moving toward goals
> And more!
Your Path to Lasting Change, Part Two
Openings and Endings
- Learn how the Focusing process can help you get in touch with what you need
- Gain confidence in how to start your Focusing process for the most beneficial results
- Understand how to complete your Focusing process to bring its benefits into the rest of your life
The Flow of the Whole Process
- Gain confidence in taking yourself through a Focusing process
- Understand the five main phases of the Focusing process and how each one contributes to your lasting change
- Differentiate between empathy and sympathy (and experience the difference empathy can make in your relationships)
- Learn about “reflections” and “reminders” and their roles in your Focusing process
- Become a more skilled facilitator for another person who is Focusing (and experiment with how that can help you be a better listener for people in your life)
- Experience the benefits of finding and staying present with positive feelings in your body
Close and Distant
- Learn how to be in touch with strong emotions without being overwhelmed by them
- Learn how to connect with your feelings even when it feels like you don’t feel anything
- Learn how to support others in those same situations
- Learn how to troubleshoot the Focusing process
- Understand the importance of giving enough time to each stage
The Feeling About A Feeling
- Understand and release one of the primary reasons a Focusing process gets stuck
- Learn more about stressful reactions to your feelings, such as “I shouldn’t feel that way.”
Turning Around and Inner Critic
- Learn about the different ways Inner Critics show up
- Understand the real reason why Inner Critics can be so harsh and judgmental
- Learn how to shift Inner Critics from harsh and judgmental to becoming more supportive
What Parts Need So They Can Shift
- Learn how to offer empathy for the deeper needs and feelings of parts of you
- Practice bringing empathy to any part of you that feels fear, worry, anger, or sadness, so that those feelings can transform
Gathering and Going Forward
- How to cultivate “positive” feelings so that you increase your resilience
- Feel the benefits of one’s Focusing practice, including:
> Greater self-acceptance and self-compassion
> Increased ability to know what you truly want and need
> Being better able to be present and aware of yourself and others
> More ease in releasing past hurts that hold you back
> Being better able to navigate stressful situations
> And more!
What is Focusing Partnership?
Focusing partnership is the magic that makes it easy to keep doing this powerful process as long as you need it. In a series of confidence-building exercises, we show you how to support another person in the Focusing process, and also how to receive that support.
It’s not counseling. You’re not trying to “fix” your partner, and they’re not trying to “fix” you. No advice is given. You don’t even have to know what the person is talking about.
During your weekly Focusing partnership practice, your partner simply listens to you without judgment or agenda. The presence of a person who is completely neutral and accepting has an almost magical effect! And you’ll learn how to give that same level of presence to your Focusing partner. Focusing partnership is calming for both people.
And Focusing partnership is free. Yes, we still believe in therapy; some people need it. But most of the time all we need is a friendly neutral person who gives no advice and allows us to explore what is true.
Meet Your Teachers
Ann Weiser Cornell
Path Part One Faculty
Ann Weiser Cornell, author of Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change,The Power of Focusing, and The Radical Acceptance of Everything, has devoted her life to helping people learn Focusing easily. Ann learned Focusing from its originator, Eugene Gendlin, in 1972, and worked closely with him for years. Today Ann is internationally recognized as one of the leading innovators and theoreticians of Focusing. She has taught Focusing in over twenty countries, and her Focusing books and manuals have been translated into eleven other languages.
Path Part One and Two Faculty
Carol is a committed, empathic teacher whose priority is to meet her students where they are and to facilitate a respectful, open and attuned relationship with those she works with. Carol’s students, many of whom are helping professionals themselves, have described her as “down to earth,” “easy to be with,” and “intuitive.” Carol loves to share practical and transformative tools for personal growth and healing.
Path Part One and Two Faculty
Jinevra is an empathic teacher, dedicated to helping students unfold into their fullness, with authenticity, humor, directness, and love. Her lifelong interest in philosophy, spirituality and all aspects of human development led her to Inner Relationship Focusing. Her interests and influences include enneagram, mysticism, integral theory, neurobiology, nonviolent communication, phenomenology, literature, poetry, and music.
What you’ll get with the Inner Relationship Focusing training program
A Life-Changing Skill
When stress levels rise, you’ll be less reactive and find calm instead, because you’ll have a healthy, compassionate way to deal with all of your emotions.
You’ll develop the ability to love yourself as you are and experience the confidence and clarity to move your life forward effectively.
A Supportive Community
During class, you’ll connect with students working toward greater self-acceptance, just like you. Afterward, you’ll have access to an online community of Focusers to support you in your process.
Join Us For Our Next Course…
to find calm compassion for yourself and others when you need it,
because you’ll have a healthy way to experience your emotions!
Your Path to Lasting Change Consists of Two Parts
Register for Part One and Part Two Separately or Sign Up for Both Parts Together (and save $297!)
Registration is limited to 40 participants per course.
Payment plan selection available on the last page during checkout (includes processing fees).
– Our Recommendation –
Take Parts One & Two Back-to-Back
8 payments of
1 payment of
Healing Professionals Track Add-On: $200
Winter & Spring 2023
February 21 to April 18 and
May 2 to June 27, 2023
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM Pacific
Last Day to Register: February 7
Completed Part One? Continue with…
5 payments of
1 payment of
Healing Professionals Track Add-On: $100
February 1 to March 29, 2023
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM Pacific
Last Day to Register: January 25
Click Here for Information About Payment Plans
You can choose the Payplan Option at the last page at checkout. *Note* Payment plan option includes processing fees.
Here’s a screenshot of what to look for:
Can't Make These Dates Work?
Join our next course…
Coming in April 2023, Wednesdays, 10am – 12pm Pacific
Registration opens in February 2023
Even More Goodness: Your Program Bonuses
As soon as you register, you’ll have immediate access to 3 program bonuses so you can get started as soon as you like.
More About What People Are Saying
- Michele T."Focusing has made my relationship with my past very different. I have many traumatic memories and have never dealt with them very well. Many years of therapy taught me that I needed to "re-live" my past experiences in order to heal them. Focusing brought the idea that "something in me" is bringing me a memory (that may or may not be traumatic), for a reason. That it's not necessarily that something in my past is unhealed, but that some aspect of a past memory is relevant to something today. After completing the course, I find I have hope that my past will no longer haunt me, but help me."
- Kilian T."Before the course, I felt anxious, stressed, depressed, and unworthy. I had a hard time having a positive relationship with aspects of myself. Now, I'm much better able to accept myself — what's there inside. I got very comfortable with the Focusing process and built up a couple of amazing Focusing partnership relationships. I learned again and again that situations I find myself in are there to learn from. The barriers put up are inside me and can be transformed so I can find a real path forward. I've been able to solve things better, to let go of things more easily, to enjoy more. I've learned subtle things about myself, my communication, and my relationships. Focusing has become an important pillar in my life, being a catalyst for change. Oiling the engine and tuning the navigation system so to say."
- Julia T."Before taking the course, I often felt there was a giant weight bearing down on me. That left me feeling depressed, numb, and hopeless. I was constantly trying to avoid my feelings. While I still experience these feelings, I now have a way to engage with them that allows me to become bigger than they are. I have a process that helps me listen to my feelings instead of being overwhelmed by them. I've learned how to validate and empathize with my feelings so that their intensity decreases. I feel free of the oppressive weight I used to feel. The sense of peace and calm I experience is extraordinary. There's a saying, "...leap and the net will appear," my experience is that Focusing is an extraordinary, powerful net."
- Ian S."I didn't expect the practice of coming into Self-in-Presence would be so important, powerful, and instructive in itself. Now that I've completed the course, Focusing is a way for me to not forget myself in the midst of helping others cope with their issues and stressors. Each week, I look forward to a Focusing session with my class partners where I get an opportunity to catch up with me and check in about how I am doing."
- Taj"There IS something worthwhile that can be done to ease people's suffering. Something that transforms the very fabric where people are stuck in their lives. It's Focusing and it gives me practical hope for a better world."
- Laura A.F."Focusing is really different because I am the expert on me. Before suffering, confusion, difficulty making decisions, self-blame, rage, and many other feelings seemed to be "me" but now there is an "I" that is separate from all this. A place where I feel good, free, restful, clear, and trust in the intelligence of the process itself. This is the gift that brings me all sorts of other gifts I am so grateful for. And what I most wish is to honor these gifts and live from this newly discovered identity."
- G.S."Before the course, I struggled with feeling indecisive and experienced many inner conflicts. That left me feeling unhappy, nervous and made it hard to sleep. During the course, I found I could suddenly stop in the middle of the day and be aware that something inside me was not feeling good. I had the awareness to say hello to that and that small act changed everything. I found I could be friendly with thoughts and feelings I used to only want to get rid of (a strategy which did not work). More and more often, I'd find myself in a peaceful state and I really liked that."
- L.R."Before taking the course, my biggest challenge was being with grief that I'd been avoiding for a long time. I felt hopeless, overwhelmed and stuck. Now, everything seems easier. I'm able to be with my grief without being overwhelmed or afraid of it (most of the time). I can support myself with empathy and validation for how I feel. I was on the fence for a long time (about taking the course) and I'm so glad I took the risk. I'd tried so many healing avenues without any forward movement, but Focusing is bringing me real change and ease. Plus, after a lifetime of not sleeping, I'm finally experiencing more nights where I sleep deeply and rest well!"
- Lizzi McLaughlin"After Path to Lasting Change, I feel more alive because I'm acknowledging parts within me — allowing them life. I'm able to move forward in a number of areas of my life. I'm also learning what self-love is and discovering greater depths within myself. For me, Inner Relationship Focusing is the missing link that enables my other healing modalities to come alive. It's such a unique opportunity to learn from experienced, caring, passionate teachers who put so much care and effort into crafting a course."
- Nati Porat"Before I came to Focusing it never occurred to me that I could feel two (or more) seemingly contradictory feelings, or hold more than one position at once - for example: that I could be hurt, shocked or angry at someone’s actions AND also compassionate, empathic and forgiving at the same time...I thought I had to choose. The language of “something in me” is so revolutionary because it creates space for the complexity and ambiguity that most of us try to resolve artificially by narrowing our experience and identifying with one position. However, complexity of experience is the truth and once we have the language to hold this truth, our being thanks us profoundly!"
- Rebecca W., L.M.F.T."In the very first class, I was wowed by how much MORE I was learning. I had that wonderful sense of being in the presence of a true master teacher and mentor (Ann) as she encouraged us to just be present, empathic, and accepting with whatever was unfolding. It felt like a paradox. I was being given a wealth of new information and skills and I was also learning that I could be successful even without all that new knowledge IF I could just stay present, empathic, and accepting. My perfectionistic demands of myself decreased significantly. My enjoyment of the process increased, and those I was working with seemed to have bigger shifts with less effort. Now I have more self-confidence, self-acceptance, hope, and an increased ability to stay present even in the face of big emotions or challenges. I have more curiosity and a willingness to face things I once was afraid of. I also have more awareness of myself as part of a dynamic, ever-changing universe."
- Myrahope"Before taking the course, I felt plagued by ideas about how to constructively channel my capacities. I knew I had a lot to offer the world and lived in a state of confusion around what that might look like for me. I felt like I was "less than" some vague, unclear idea of what I should be... Now, I recognize that I'm already living a purposeful life and I'm getting clarity about what more I'd like to be doing. Focusing is a very generous and allowing way to access your own profound knowing of what is true for you."
- Ber"Before Path to Lasting Change Part Two, I'd get identified with a perspective or part and it left me feeling doubtful, defeated, ashamed, and hopeless. Now, I have an anchor for pausing when I feel confused. I can wonder, "what am I identified with?" It helps me feel a sense of hope and even trust in myself. Here's what that looks like in my life... An inability to weather and recover from difficult emotional states were two things that simply felt like facts about me - things that could not or would not change. Yet, they've shifted. I am full of hope now that I can slow down and make healthier choices rather than reactive ones."
- Paul Fitzgerald, DMin"I took this course to incorporate Focusing into my work with people as a life coach and spiritual director. I've been leading people in self-discovery for more than 20 years and Focusing is a powerful addition to my work. The course offered me insights from actual experience about Focusing dynamics that were only concepts from the reading I'd done previously. The skills gained in both using Focusing for myself and in companioning others are invaluable."
- Jerene G."Before taking Your Path to Lasting Change, I felt stuck. Enforced inactivity due to the pandemic sapped my energy and my ability to concentrate. That left me feeling like a crummy third-rate human. I cried a lot. I hated that the pandemic had swept away my volunteer activities - places where I felt valuable and like I was helping in small ways. Through the course, I learned to be more patient with myself. I began to recognize several 'somethings' that pulled me in different directions. I discovered the miraculous feeling of calm and peace that comes from simply saying to a 'something,' "I hear you. Let me sit quietly and be with you." Part-way through the course I had an epiphany that shook me right down to my socks. I sat with an unpleasant feeling I was afraid of and I felt ITS fear for me! After staying with it, I was flooded with gratitude for this part that's been doing its best to protect me (generally by encouraging me to back away from unpleasantness). Now, I'm on speaking terms with several "somethings" in me - I'm able to communicate with them. I feel large, as Walt Whitman wrote. I feel like I fell into this course at exactly the right time. With every exercise, I learned new things about myself and my fellow humans. Internal walls and barricades, some I hadn't been aware of, have melted, shifted, bathed me in lightness and peace. If you decide to take this course, you'll be in the company of the kindest, most generous people you'll ever meet - some will be the instructors, but many will be your fellow students."
- Debra C."After the Path to Lasting Change course, I was able to see the simple but profound applications of listening in a Focusing way to anything. I now have the courage, confidence, and trust to stop and listen to some of my smallest, faintest, far-away-y parts. My life is moving forward in the most amazing ways. I want to use 100 exclamation points! I am so appreciative and grateful to be part of this learning community — I feel like a dream has come true and I've found my place."
- Shahid Khan"I knew the course made a difference for me when I noticed that during my dark times, I can be with my thoughts and feelings without needing to change them. I feel a deeper connection to myself now."
- Lizzi McLaughlin"This course lives up to its name. It is a path to transformation (more effective than any other modality I've come across in 17 years of inner work, and yet, it complements other modalities beautifully). Before the course, I wasn't able to move forward in certain areas of my life and I felt blocked and stuck. Now, I've noticed things starting to just get done in my life without so much trying -- areas like house cleaning, financial decisions, and getting clarity about where to put my energy, not to mention having more energy. I am so grateful to be part of such a life-transforming process and to get to learn from one of the creators of the process."
- J.H."Now I know that whenever I feel confused, overwhelmed, troubled, or stuck, I know what to do, right away. I have a way of being very gentle and allowing. I trust that any problem or issue I may have contains its own resolution. I only need to bring my awareness to it in a Focusing way and be patient. The more I practice Focusing myself and use it with my clients, the more I see how freeing and impactful it is. Focusing feels like a subtle technology for allowing what is alive in me to move forward in the way IT needs to."
- Jana Schweeren"I used to find it challenging to coordinate all the tasks in my life and that left me feeling really stressed out. Now I feel a lot more grounded and able to move forward because I can do Focusing and get a different, calmer perspective on things I used to just ruminate about."
- Gelareh B."Before the course, I often distracted myself when I wasn't feeling bad. I didn't realize how it was impacting my body and my other decisions. Now, I feel more space inside. I know there is something in me with certain negative feelings and emotions, but I can work it out and see how it affects me. Initially, I felt a little impatient and frustrated about how slow this process was going. But I realized how valuable this slow time was, how it helped me understand myself better and lightened the burden for me. I think the key to any trauma education is to know thyself, and Focusing takes you very deep inside to accomplish this."
Got Questions? We’ve Got Your Answers…
What happened to the Levels?
If you’ve heard of Focusing elsewhere, you’re probably familiar with classes called Levels One through Four. Here’s how our courses fit into that system…Your Path to Lasting Change Part One is equivalent to Levels One and Two. Your Path to Lasting Change Part Two is equivalent to Levels Three and Four. If you have questions about where to start, email Allison.
What's so different about Focusing?
Focusing goes counter to most of the messages around us. We are told how to feel, or to “get over” how we feel, and we are never ever taught about the body felt sense that is the real way through our difficulties.
Why do you feel so stuck? Why do feel like you’ve tried everything and nothing has worked? Why do you go around in circles, repeating what hasn’t worked, feeling the same emotions, and no farther along than before?
It’s not that there’s something wrong with you. I really want you to hear that! So I’m going to say it again.
It’s not that there’s something wrong with you, it’s that the whole way our modern culture is set up leaves us cut off from our bodies and our source of wisdom. And if you suffered traumatic experiences or came from a dysfunctional family (like I did), that makes it even harder to stay in touch with yourself.
Is this therapy? Coaching? Meditation? Positive visualization?
Focusing isn’t any of those things…. But it has similarities to each of them. (And can be used with those other methods to enhance their effects.)
As in therapy or coaching, you can get positive change on deeply held, long term issues, as well as releasing blocks to taking practical action. But unlike therapy or coaching, you do Focusing on your own or with partners in a free exchange. You learn a way of being that you have with you at all times, and once you learn it, it costs you nothing more.
As in meditation, Focusing has an essential quality of acceptance, and you can find greater inner peace and detachment from stressful emotional states or thoughts. But unlike meditation, Focusing is more engaged, practical, issue-oriented – being about a particular life situation.
As in positive self-talk or visualization, you can access the very best of your potential for moving forward with your life without getting stuck in negative emotions. But unlike positive self-talk or visualization, Focusing is grounded in your whole self, inclusive of all your feeling states, so you aren’t leaving out aspects of yourself that can return in a backlash later.
Do I need to be there every week?
Please plan to attend all 9 class sessions for the full time of the meeting. Missing 1-2 classes can be worked around if absolutely necessary. (There’s a process for making up what you missed.) If you miss more than 1-2 classes, you’ll need to repeat the course in order to move on to subsequent courses. Please note, missing more than 20 minutes of class counts as an absence.
How do online courses work?
All you need is a phone, tablet, or computer and a comfortable place to sit! We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher.
Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone.
Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to an online classroom portal where course materials can be found.
What's included in each Part of this program?
- Nine two-hour meetings for a total of 18 hours of class time.
- A pre-class meeting with one of the teachers of your course. Information on scheduling your individual session will be provided via email after registering. This is for Part One only and does not apply to people who are repeating the course.
- Your own copy of The Focusing Student’s and Companion’s Manual (value: $23), provided as a PDF file.
- Unique Focusing Exercise Sheets for every paired class exercise so you know exactly what to do to make the exercises most effective for yourself and your partner. (We innovated these Exercise Sheets and they really work.)
- Up to one hour of Focusing partnership, in between class meetings each week, to further develop your Focusing skills.
- A class roster with contact information so you can connect with your assigned partners each week to practice the skills you’re learning during class.
- Access to recordings of every class, so you’ll be able to listen again to anything you want to hear twice – or over and over again.
- An online classroom portal where you can access homework, recordings, and other important class information from any web browser.
- Email and/or phone support from the teacher and the class assistants if you have questions between the class meetings or need extra help.
What if none of your dates and times work for me?
Your Path to Lasting Change courses are offered 3 times per year starting in February, April, and October.
Can I receive Continuing Education Credits and/or a Certificate of Completion?
Each part meets the qualifications for 22 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE Credits. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE Credits but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE Credits requires at least 80% live attendance. If you miss a class, it must be made up.
Cancellations, Changes & Refunds
Up to 14 days before the first day of class: Just let us know and we’ll refund your course fee. Or you can choose to apply the entire course fee towards a future class with us.
Cancellations received 13 days or fewer before class begins: No refund, sorry.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.
What if I've already taken Level One, Two, or Three?
If you took Focusing Level One from Focusing Resources in the last two years, we’ll give you a discount for taking Part One of the Your Path to Lasting Change. Just email Allison to request the repeat fee discount code.
If you’ve taken Level One and Level Two, you’re qualified to sign up for Part Two.
If you’ve taken Level Three from us in the last two years, email Allison to get a discount code for Part Two.
What additional support is included with the Healing Professionals (HP) Track?
Combined with the Focusing Training Program, our Healing Professionals Track provides additional audio and video content specifically tailored for Healing Professionals (HPs) who want to bring Focusing into their work with clients. Read more here.
Tell me more about the recordings for this course
To respect the confidentiality and privacy of our participants we do not provide video recordings of our classes. All recordings are provided as audio files.