Healing Trauma: Moving Beyond the Hurt of the Past
Do you overreact to present events as if they’re worse than they are?
Do you repeat dysfunctional patterns in your relationships at home or work?
Do you sometimes feel like a hurt little child is living your life?
If that’s a yes for you, the Healing Trauma course can help you break free from the long shadow of your past and live more fully now.
About the Healing Trauma Course
In this class, you’ll:
- Contact the ways that earlier hurts still limit your life
- Explore safe and empowering exercises for shifting and healing the grip of the past
- Cultivate your inner strength and compassion for your hurting younger self
- Receive the support of other people who are going through similar issues
- Reclaim your body as a safe space for happiness
If you didn’t have the kindest or gentlest of childhoods, then you can probably feel how much that early history impacts you now – affecting your energy, your mood, and your ability to receive the good things life has to offer you.
At A Glance
|Who||For anyone who suspects that the pain of your past may be limiting your possibilities now.|
|What||A three-week online course taught by Focusing expert, Ann Weiser Cornell. Full Course Description|
|Where||Live Online Course – join us from anywhere in the world!|
|Why||Because it is never too late to be free of the long shadow of the past and live fully now.
No matter how long ago it was, the past can cast a long shadow over the present.
Here’s the good news: There are ways to use an inner relationship to heal the trauma that is holding back your life.
Join Ann for this supportive class that can start to move your life out of the past’s shadow.
Trauma steals away something that belongs to us: our right to feel safe in our bodies and in our lives… the right to be a whole person, living a whole, healed life.
What We’ll Be Doing Together:
In this three-week interactive online course, we’ll explore healing trauma, the everyday early traumas that most of us still carry with us… so that life can open up more fully in the present.
The Course Includes:
- Ways to communicate safely with “protector” parts that make you go blank when old hurts begin to surface
- How to start with puzzling current overreactions and trace them back earlier times
- A gentle self-healing process that you can bring to yourself any time you need it
- Discovering what might be possible for you if you live without the limitation of past traumas
The Structure of the Healing Trauma Course:
- Every module has two powerful exercises that Ann guides you through, plus life-changing information about what is really possible for you
- All the information and all the exercises are in beautiful handouts we designed just for this course
- You get plenty of opportunities to share your experiences and ask questions – if you want to
This Course Might Be Right For You If:
- You know or suspect that hard times in the past are limiting your possibilities now
- You’ve tried to think your way out of your current limitations and that is not working
- You wonder if it will ever be possible for you to live freely, as if you had never been hurt
This class might not be right for people who:
- are suffering from severe trauma symptoms such as frequent dissociation
- are having trouble functioning in daily life
- need the support of a healing professional to do trauma release
About Your Guide
Ann created Inner Relationship Focusing with her long-time colleague, Barbara McGavin, to help people learn to listen compassionately to all the inner voices. Along the way, Ann and Barbara developed a radical new process for relating to the self-blaming voices inside them. It changed their lives, and it became their mission to help others transform as well.
For over 35 years now, Ann’s been teaching this practical, revolutionary process to people all over the world. With The Healing Trauma course, you get the benefit of Ann’s expertise and the chance to practice the simple, yet revolutionary process of Focusing with her gentle, compassionate guidance.
Ann is the author of Focusing in Clinical Practice: The Essence of Change, The Power of Focusing, and The Radical Acceptance of Everything. Today she is internationally recognized as one of the leading innovators and theoreticians of Focusing.
Why I Created this Course (click here to read)
I remember when I was first drawn to emotional healing. I thought I had had a great childhood. The problems were that I kept being drawn to men who weren’t available and ignoring the available ones. And I had an inner critic ready to crush me for the smallest mistake. And I often felt odd, out of place, and lonely. But I didn’t connect any of that with my early family life. I absolutely believed our “family story” – that we were a happy, close family and Dad’s drinking was never a problem.
Then something interesting happened. As I did Focusing with my current life issues, I kept getting taken back to my childhood. When I explored why I had so much ambivalent longing for male company, I kept seeing memories of my father turning away from me when I was small. When I spent time with my feelings of being odd and left out in social situations, I kept seeing memories of my mother holding my baby brother and ignoring me.
Patterns in my current life made so much more sense when I connected them with painful emotional events in my early life. And more importantly, the present got lighter and freer when I acknowledged the feelings of that younger me.
Most of you are probably not as clueless as I was. You probably know that a lot of the limitations in your current life are connected to early life traumas. (I am defining “trauma” as any event or set of circumstances that was persistently painful and led to limiting beliefs about the self.)
But you may have thought you had to “accept” the ways that your current life is impacted by the past. You may not have known that it’s possible to heal those old hurts enough to really see the difference in the present. To help people like you experience greater possibilities in your life I decided to create Healing Trauma: Moving Beyond the Hurt of the Past.
For this course, I’ve created safe and empowering exercises to help you cultivate your strength and self-compassion, so you can invite your hurting younger self into a healing relationship with you. I think you’ll be amazed at how quickly this kind of inner relationship can bring relief and greater spaciousness and lightness.
A Healing Moment for Your Traumatized Inner Child - If You Have One (click here to access free exercise)
- For a moment, pause and bring awareness to your body.
- Allow yourself to feel the support of your contact with what you are sitting on… and also to feel your breathing.
- Now become aware of the inner area of your body… that includes your throat, your chest, your stomach.
- Somewhere in you, there might be a traumatized inner child. She or he might be frozen or numb, or hiding.
- Allow a gentle hand to move to your heart, and say to the little one inside, “I am here.”
Just that much. “I am here.”
- And wait a little while. Nothing else needs to happen. That’s a healing moment.
How The Hurts of the Past Show Up In the Present
One morning I found a heartfelt note from my partner on the kitchen table. He had been up late sleepless with remorse over the way he had treated me the day before.
“I realize it’s because on this date in 1956 I had the worst day of my life. I tried to put those memories aside but I guess they came out anyway in the crabby and mean way I talked to you. I’m so sorry.”
I knew what he was talking about. He’d told me before about the anguish of a conscientious Catholic boy convinced he would be condemned to Hell forever on the day of his first communion. And of course, I could forgive him… but I was so sad for him.
The pain and torment of that day are as fresh for him now as the day that it happened. And they affect – obviously – his current relationships.
That’s what happens with trauma. There is a place in us where time has not passed, where the little one who went through the terrible experience is still in it, frozen in time and unable to move forward.
That woundedness can over-shadow and affect all of our current life… until it can be healed.
The key that helps heal the ordinary traumas we all carry is our relationship with the hurt parts inside of us. That inner relationship is the healing environment that they have always needed. Do join me and the others on this journey. I’d love to support you in giving yourself the kind of compassion you have always needed… to live a fuller life.
It is very important and life-changing to be aware that negative beliefs and self-perceptions come from trauma. They come from parts of us that are trying to make sense of what happened. This is one of the ways trauma overshadows the present — in our sense of who and what we are.
Are You Struggling With Old Hurts?
Help is 3 Steps Away…
Enroll for Your Course Here
What People Are Saying…
- Micheline G."I've taken other courses and while it's been great to get in touch with past hurts, I've been left wondering what do I do with these feelings? The Healing Trauma course gave me the tools I needed to be with these feelings. I discovered that by being there with myself and accepting my feelings as they are, a shift occurs inside and I carry my experience differently. It's a life-giving change. Now, I am there for me. I have resources that are nurturing. It's changed my relationship with myself and with others. I am more peaceful and starting to enjoy life at a different level."
- Caroline Beverstock, Retired Adult Educator"I came to the Healing Trauma course hoping I'd find the threads of my tangled, frozen issues. In the past, I ran right into a certainty that something hidden in me repeatedly stopped me from being able to set goals and achieve them. I felt defeated, no matter how well I might begin. In contrast to other contexts for inner awareness, Ann brings an essential belief that there is a positive life force inside. This helped me see that the belief I was somehow broken was not an integral aspect of my being that I could never overcome. During the course, I accessed memories I hadn't thought of in years. I began to understand I needed those memories in order to heal traumas I'd never imagined were holding me frozen and unable to take life-forward steps. I know that this work will continue to unfold in me. Right now, I have more patience for the process. I have a new sense of possibility, and I have a stronger dedication to the journey."
- Joyce L."What made a big difference for me were the questions: What should have happened? What didn't happen at the time or immediately after the trauma? I'd never been present to myself in the ways these questions invited me to be. Now that I've completed Healing Trauma: Moving Beyond the Hurt of the Past, I am able to bring the gift of self-compassion to my younger self who's still hiding in the shame and pain of a childhood trauma that let to severe stoppage of forward movement in my life. I came to the course looking for a way to relieve that trauma without inviting more shame. I found it!"
- Taj"There IS something worthwhile that can be done to ease people's suffering. Something that transforms the very fabric where people are stuck in their lives. It's Focusing and it gives me practical hope for a better world."
- Maria N."I came to the course wanting to understand how my triggers work and how I can support myself through them. The Healing Trauma course helped me connect to a very deep place myself and that allowed me to give my past hurts empathy and acceptance, things I did not receive from my parents. One of the most powerful moments came when Ann made a gesture and shared the metaphor of a "little one" boxed up with strings and ropes tied around the box. That touched something very deep in me and brought streams of tears. In that small, simple moment, I was able to connect with a frozen place in myself in a very healing and empowering way. I love that I now have more compassion for myself and more compassion for others as well."
How Online Courses Work
We use Zoom, an online video conference platform, to connect you to other students and the teacher. Before the class starts you will receive a Zoom link to use each time the class meets. You can join us via your camera-equipped computer, tablet, or smart phone. Prefer not to be on video? You can turn off your camera. Don’t want to call via computer? You can call in by phone. Zoom is free and easy to use. You will be able to sign on in advance to make sure you can access it, but we’ve had very few problems with it. Students also receive access to a private webpage where course materials can be found.
There is no prerequisite for this course. All are welcome.
Continuing Education Credit & Course Completion Certificate
Course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of the course upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Eligibility for CE units requires at least 80% live attendance. If you miss a class, it must be made up.
Cancellations, Changes & Refunds
Up to 5 days before the first day of class: We will refund your course fee less a $35 cancellation fee. Avoid the cancellation fee by applying the entire course payment towards a future class. Changing your registration to a later offering of the same course must also occur 5 days prior to the beginning of class.
Cancellations received 4 days or fewer before class begins: No refund. Changing your registration within this window results in a $75 fee.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.