Has Focusing changed your life in a profound way? Do you feel called to help facilitate that kind of powerful change for other people?
Our two-year live, online program will give you the skills you need to become a Certified Focusing Professional.
Becoming a Certified Focusing Teacher/Practitioner is a possibility for someone from any walk of life.
You don’t need to be a therapist or have other formal credentials in order to become a Focusing Teacher/Practitioner.
You just need to go through the training process and demonstrate your ability to provide safe and empowering Focusing experiences for others, both one-to-one and in groups.
At the end of the program – having met the requirements – you will receive Certification as a Focusing Professional from The Focusing Institute, the international nonprofit organization. Ann Weiser Cornell and Focusing Resources are authorized to offer this certification.
This program is offered once yearly starting in October, days of the week and times vary. The prerequisite for entering certification training is Path to Lasting Change Parts One and Two (or the equivalent) with an Inner Relationship Focusing teacher.
“Being in the certification program has brought me many things that I expected: among them new friends, a deeper understanding of myself, better listening skills, and more competence in focusing. The class is brilliantly designed and masterfully taught. Ann guides us through the learning process with skill and compassion and the mentors bring added depth through the sharing and support of their years of experience. It is an outstanding training.”
~ Karen DeHart
In Our Two-Year Comprehensive Certification Program You Will:
- Deepen your understanding of change processes and be able to translate that self-understanding into your work with clients
- Learn to deeply listen to yourself, your clients and the life unfolding around you
- Develop the inner and outer tools to establish yourself as a Focusing Professional
- Actively participate in a consistent community of peers and fellow professionals, hopefully forming lifelong friendships and even professional collaborations
- Learn to create a clear heart-based marketing strategy to help you thrive in your Focusing practice
- Engage both the theory and practice of Focusing in order to bring Focusing into your professional life in a holistic, integrated and alive way
What You’ll Be Able to Do
At the end of the program, we expect you will be able to:
- Provide one-to-one Focusing sessions at a professional level, including introducing Focusing to someone who has never done it before.
- Create and teach classes and workshops in Focusing.
- Offer guided group exercises and attunements to bring Focusing into various group settings, including workshops on other topics.
- Communicate successfully about Focusing and your work in conversations, in public settings, and in marketing materials.
Get Started in 3 Easy Steps
Training and Support In:
Although this is the planned schedule, it is not guaranteed that a particular teacher will teach the week listed. Topics are also subject to change. Click the “+” or “-” to expand each year.
In addition to the classroom meetings described below, Year One includes:
- Demonstrations of Facilitating Focusing, a 3-week phone class taught by Ann Weiser Cornell (can be taken any of several times during the year)
- Assisting at Focusing classes taught at Focusing Resources or by other teachers
- Beginning to work with practice clients and receive supervision and feedback
- Beginning to receive six guided sessions from mentors (three with each mentor over the whole training)
- Treasure Maps to the Soul retreat or Getting Free course (usually begun or scheduled by the end of the first year)
Year One: October 2021 – June 2022
October 14. Led by Ann with other Teachers and Co-Mentors.
Introduction to the program. Introduction to each other. Setting intentions. What do you bring to the program? What is your passion around Focusing?
Participants will pair for Focusing partnership each week with a different trainee from the course, until each trainee has met with each other trainee. Consultative support triads will then be formed.
October 21. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
October 28. Led by Barbara McGavin
November 4. Led by Barbara McGavin
November 11. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
November 18. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
December 2. Led by Barbara McGavin
December 9. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
December 16, 2021. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell and/or Barbara McGavin
January 6, 2022. Led by Emily Agnew
January 13. Led by Helene Brenner
January 20. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
January 27. Consultative Triads meet
February 3. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
February 10. Consultative Triads meet
February 17. Led by Emily Agnew.
February 24. Consultative Triads meet
March 3. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
March 10. Consultative Triads meet
March 17. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
March 24. Consultative Triads meet
March 31. Led by Emily Agnew
April 7. Consultative Triads meet
April 14. Led by Helene Brenner
April 21. Consultative Triads meet
April 28. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
May 5. Consultative Triads meet
May 12. Led by Barbara McGavin
May 19. Consultative Triads meet
May 26. Led by Barbara McGavin
June 2. Consultative Triads meet
June 9. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell
June 16. Consultative Triads meet
In addition to the classroom meetings described below, Year Two includes:
- Carrying out a Focusing Project to explore some aspect of Focusing (eg Focusing in schools, Focusing and creativity, Focusing and chronic pain, Focusing combined with some other method)
- Teaching a Level One (12-hour) Focusing class
- Developing materials for communicating with one’s intended audience
- Continuing to work with practice clients and receive supervision and feedback
- Continuing to have sessions with Mentors
Year Two: September 2022 – June 2023
September 22. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
September 29. Consultative Triads meet
October 6. Led by Emily Agnew.
October 13. Consultative Triads meet
October 20. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
October 27. Consultative Triads meet
November 3. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
November 10. Consultative Triads meet
November 17. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
December 1. Consultative Triads meet
December 8. Led by Lucinda Hayden.
December 15, 2022. Consultative Triads meet
January 5, 2023. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
January 12. Consultative Triads meet
January 19. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
January 26. Consultative Triads meet
February 2. Led by Barbara McGavin.
February 9. Consultative Triads meet
February 16. Led by Nina Joy Lawrence.
February 23. Consultative Triads meet
March 2. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
March 9. Consultative Triads meet
March 16. Led by Emily Agnew.
March 23. Consultative Triads meet
March 30. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
April 6. Consultative Triads meet
April 13. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
April 20. Consultative Triads meet
April 27. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
May 4. Consultative Triads meet
May 11. Led by Ann Weiser Cornell.
May 18. Consultative Triads meet
May 25, 2023. Led by Ann with other Teachers and Co-Mentors.
Completion of the program:
In addition to completing the classroom 66-week program, trainees also need to complete other requirements, and this can take longer than the end of the classroom program in accord with individual needs. There is no need for everyone to “graduate” together.
Checklist of final requirements:
- Complete 50 practice sessions, at least half of which have been reported on to Mentors
- Teach a Level One course
- Complete Focusing Project
- When all other requirements have been completed, have the final Milestone Session with the two mentors
Note: these are final deadlines. There are great benefits to completing the steps well before these deadlines.
Schedule a chat with Ann by or before this date to explore whether the program meets your needs and access the Application form in time to complete it before the early enrollment deadline below.
Early Enrollment Application Deadline – get in your application by this date to have time to be accepted before you need to pay your deposit
Initial Payment Due – Initial Payment (or full payment) officially enrolls you in the program where you’ll have access to the primary textbooks and the complete Certification Program Handbook. You can also begin to meet your fellow trainees.
Final Application Deadline – late registration price applies (full payment due within two days of acceptance to program). Must have a chat with Ann in order to receive the application form.
Registration Closes Deadline
Want a free taste of our program?
Click here to download a recording from April 30, 2020 to:
- Meet and interact with many of the teachers of the certification program
- Learn about the different components of the program and how they integrate
- Get a chance to share your own goals and questions
- Enjoy the exciting prospect of this new group forming
You can also download a recording of our webinar from July 9, 2020 here (it’s a large file).
Step 1. Have a 30-Minute Chat
Ann can help you explore whether the program meets your needs.
Step 2. Complete Your Application
A link to our program application is provided after you have your chat with Ann.
How to use our online scheduler:
Scroll down and choose “Free Chat to Discuss Entering the Certification Program” from the list of appointment types. Set your time zone and then choose a date to see available times.
Step 3. Click Here to Register or See Course Details (do not register until you've completed Steps 1 and 2)
Certification as a Focusing Professional
Dates: October 14, 2021 to May 25, 2023
Time: Thursdays; 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM Pacific
Taught by Ann Weiser Cornell and Additional Program Faculty
Payment and additional details
Cost: $6500 through end of day August 28, $6950 after
Installment options: Pay in full or pay in 7 payments of $950 or 15 payments of $464 (includes processing fees, installment increase at late registration)
Don’t Miss Out: The last day to register is September 27
Prerequisite: Completion of Level Four or Your Path to Lasting Change, Part Two Inner Relationship Focusing (IRF) Training. Application approved by the Training Coordinator.
What is Included in Your Program Fees
- Year One Course (includes facilitating one-to-one Focusing sessions with people who know Focusing and new people)
- Year Two Course (includes Teaching Groups and Communicating about your work)
- Demonstrations of Facilitating Focusing
- Mentor & Co-Mentor Fees (includes 3 milestone sessions)
- 3 Mentor Sessions with Ann
- 3 Mentor Sessions with Co-Mentor
- Help in finding Practice Clients
- Practice Client Feedback
- 3 Observations of Sessions with Focusing clients
- Support forming Peer Partnerships for Consultation, Marketing & Teaching
- Additional Support & Training for Level 1 Assistants with Lucinda
- Teacher’s Manual (digital download, PDF files)
- Focusing in Clinical Practice book
- Treasure Maps to the Soul or Getting Free course
- Focusing Institute Fees
- Travel costs for in-person workshops
- Phone charges
- Membership in Zoom.us
Continuing Education Credit & Course Completion Certificate
Two-year program meets the qualifications for 78 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Focusing Resources, CAMFT Approved CE Provider #62524. 44 CE units are awarded for completion of Year One, and 34 CE units are awarded for completion of Year Two. (Demonstrations of Facilitating Focusing class and the Treasure Maps to the Soul retreat also award CEUs when taken.)
Focusing Resources is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Focusing Resources maintains responsibility for this course and its content.
There is a $25 administrative fee for CE units. Course completion certificates are awarded at the end of each year of the program upon completion of all requirements and the course evaluation for that year. (If you don’t want CE units but would like a completion certificate, the $25 fee does still apply.)
Program Cancellation Policy
Any student may withdraw from the Training within one week (7 days) after the first training class meeting and receive an eighty (80) percent refund of the tuition. This refers to the total tuition payable including by installment plan. No refunds will be granted after the first week of training.
Students will be held to this agreement, regardless of future attendance and/or completion of the training. In extraordinary circumstances,we will consider requests for refunds or release from the payment contract. However, the final decision in such matters will rest with Focusing Resources, Inc.
Regular attendance is a requirement of the program. Participants should plan to attend 80% of the scheduled classes for Year One and Year Two curriculum.
This roughly translates into being able to miss no more than 13 class meetings over the course of two years.
When Something Doesn't Go As You'd Hoped...
We are always open to discussing experiences with our courses that didn’t work for you or didn’t go the way you expected. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to email your course instructor, the staff member in charge of your course, or Ann Weiser Cornell. Email addresses for all these people will be supplied on registration. We will work with you to find a way to meet your needs.
- Mary Keeney"The course far exceeded my expectations. Ann is the most generous teacher I've encountered in all the various courses I have taken. The level of safety she provides allowed me to blossom and thrive in a way I had never experienced before. I am deeply grateful for the entire program."
- Karen DeHart"Being in the certification program has brought me many things that I expected: among them new friends, a deeper understanding of myself, better listening skills, and more competence in focusing. The class is brilliantly designed and masterfully taught. Ann guides us through the learning process with skill and compassion and the mentors bring added depth through the sharing and support of their years of experience. It is an outstanding training."
- Rose Sposito"The Inner Relationship Certification Program was for me a skillful, in depth and thorough unpacking of the magic and power of focusing altogether. As a health care provider, the wealth of resources that I received, are invaluable and continue to inform my work in further supporting my clients, with their deepest longings, needs and purpose in life.The teachers are excellent in that they are so passionate and knowledgeable about Focusing and are so willing and generous to share this understanding with us throughout the program. I highly recommend this certification program for anyone wishing to explore Focusing at its best!"
- Kelly Verret, Certification Trainee"From the readings, which seem so simple but are so very deep and rich, the classes which are alive with sharing, practice, and gentle but expert guidance, to the way Ann and Barbara are living examples of this way of walking in the world, I am so grateful. What is demonstrated and cultivated here in this course is so profoundly respectful of each human person’s capacity to come into relationship with all they are experiencing within and create the conditions for an ever unfolding, dynamic process that is at once expansive, life-saving, and life-giving, it is no wonder that I have already grown so much in my capacity to walk with others and guide them in this Focusing way; it is no wonder that my own process has deepened so richly since I began this course only a few short months ago. I am so glad that I gave myself this gift, it has opened me to the wonder and awe of each person I encounter and meet in this way, including myself, who I meet ever freshly. And in a world of people starving for this way of holding themselves and others in Presence, this course is providing me with an ever deepening capacity to walk with others and guide them as they open into the ever unfolding world of experience within them. And, as I write this, I realize this is just the beginning."
- Susanne Rieger, Muenster, Germany
"Doing this class is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life.
First, this class is very intense – we are delving deep into Focusing: the basic and advanced steps. Ann and the other teachers have profound Focusing knowledge and are highly experienced. When we have questions, we can always ask Ann and/or our mentors and teachers, and get timely answers.
Second, what I love about this training is by doing this training, I learn a lot about my inner struggle, and I learn to overcome it by first seeing the different parts causing this inner struggle, acknowledging them, listening to them... and thus making it possible to integrate them in my whole being and finding my true inner peace. In my opinion, this inner peace is one important step towards world peace. If everybody could achieve this inner peace, world peace would be much closer. – Bearing this in mind, I think it is very important that many people learn Focusing, and I’m so glad and grateful that I took this step and decided to do this training. My contribution to world peace."
Is this a training for therapists?
No, it isn’t a training for therapists, although therapists may find it valuable. The curriculum centers on facilitating sessions that are explicitly Focusing sessions, and teaching Focusing to groups, and does not include bringing Focusing into other kinds of practice.
I am not sure I can make the class times. Can I take the course another way?
No, sorry, this is an intensive program with a high commitment to your own training and to the other students, your cohort. If you don’t think you can make at least 80% of the classes, better to find a different program.
How is this different from the certification offered by the International Focusing Institute?
Actually, this IS a certification offered by the International Focusing Institute. We are one of the organizations that they have authorized to give their certification. Specific programs will differ and it’s good to interview the directors of any two programs that you are deciding between. We’ll be happy to tell you all about ours… but we are not experts in theirs… so do ask them!